Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features Coming Up For Xen 4.2 Virtualization

Phoronix: Features Coming Up For Xen 4.2 Virtualization

Xen 4.2 will be released in the near future for this one of the leading virtualization platforms available for Linux. Xen 4.2 is packing in a number of new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not to sound like a noob but Xen really needs a good GUI of its own. Xen seems to have as many or maybe more features than some of the best VM tools out there. To me, one of the only compelling reasons to support a GUI is to give a more user friendly way of using most (or all) features a program has to offer in an organized manner. Certain programs eventually become so big that their manuals are just annoying to filter through and daunting for new users. A properly made GUI can make enough of a difference that users can understand the significance of whether something is needed or not, if they're using something properly, or understand what something does without looking at a help file.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Not to sound like a noob but Xen really needs a good GUI of its own. Xen seems to have as many or maybe more features than some of the best VM tools out there. To me, one of the only compelling reasons to support a GUI is to give a more user friendly way of using most (or all) features a program has to offer in an organized manner. Certain programs eventually become so big that their manuals are just annoying to filter through and daunting for new users. A properly made GUI can make enough of a difference that users can understand the significance of whether something is needed or not, if they're using something properly, or understand what something does without looking at a help file.
      Well for basic usage Virt-Manager does well enough as a gui. It does not support more advanced configurations but users needing this probably don't mind the command line. I find Xen configuration files to be fairly straightforward so I only use virt-manager as a vnc/spice client.

Comment

Finally there is power management support for the AMD Bulldozer. :-)

Comment

Almost half a year has gone since this announcement and promise to come up with a Xen 4.2 review (or benchmark?). By now Xen 4.2 has long been released, but I didn't see yet any review etc. on Phoronix. Have I missed something?

Comment

Working...
          X