NVIDIA Releases 325.08 Beta Linux GPU Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ninez View Post
    Interesting, i haven't updated (yet), or anything like that. I guess it's good (for me, personally) that i am still on 3.8.13 then. (even though, patching isn't a huge ordeal).
    It was the case when using the .run directly from the nvidia website. The last set of nvidia drivers compiled by the xorg-edgers team included the patch file (which made it work with anything over 3.10-rc1 at the time).

The xorg-edgers team compiled this beta driver same day, I'll test it out on the stable 3.10 kernel to see if they compiled with the patch already.

Would be nice if nvidia got their drivers up to speed with latest kernel, since using .run to install the drivers gives me way better peformance than pulling in from xorg-edgers.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeLinuxGuy View Post
      It was the case when using the .run directly from the nvidia website. The last set of nvidia drivers compiled by the xorg-edgers team included the patch file (which made it work with anything over 3.10-rc1 at the time).

The xorg-edgers team compiled this beta driver same day, I'll test it out on the stable 3.10 kernel to see if they compiled with the patch already.

Would be nice if nvidia got their drivers up to speed with latest kernel, since using .run to install the drivers gives me way better peformance than pulling in from xorg-edgers.
      What kind of performance difference are we talking about here? Do you have any detailed info like FPS in certain games with ppa drivers versus the ones you downloaded from NVIDIA?

Comment

Originally posted by SomeLinuxGuy View Post

Nvidia kernel 3.10 patch; http://pastebin.com/SfgPLVNG

it's was patched against archlinux' 3.10 kernel, but should only require modifying the paths to be able to use with another 3.10 kernel. So, you could patch it, if you like and use the .run installer... I'm surprised their is any difference between the driver (provided by xorg-edgers), are you sure it isn't their Xorg that is the issue? (i wouldn't think, they could have done anything to affect the driver itself)..

I updated to this driver last night on Arch. Aside from new options in nvidia-settings, i haven't noticed any noticable differences (which is fine with me, much better than regressions..lol).

Comment

Here is a patch that allows for the installation of Nvidia 325.08 on the newly-released Linux 3.10. 3.10.patch.txt (16.8 KB)

apply it with "sh Nv_thing.run --apply-patch that_file"
          it will probably ask you about file paths (just put "kernel/file_it_wants", or change it in the patch)

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
            Oh wait Mir and Wayland are not production ready...
            They'll never be production ready if they're never supported.

Comment

These drivers seem a bit buggy, having issues with redrawing windows. I have to keep moving them for them to be updated.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                They'll never be production ready if they're never supported.
                Tho many will say Mir or Waylands success hinges directly on ATI and Nvidia's proprietary driver support, it's development does not....

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
                  Tho many will say Mir or Waylands success hinges directly on ATI and Nvidia's proprietary driver support, it's development does not....
                  no Drivers = Fewer Testers & Developers

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                    These drivers seem a bit buggy, having issues with redrawing windows. I have to keep moving them for them to be updated.
                    Did you even install the driver?

X-Plane, Steam, Wine etc. work fine. I don't use compiz anymore, which would slow it down.

I also don't use those synaptic packages anymore but only the Nvidia installer.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                      Did you even install the driver?

X-Plane, Steam, Wine etc. work fine. I don't use compiz anymore, which would slow it down.

I also don't use those synaptic packages anymore but only the Nvidia installer.

yes I did ... that is why I commented that there is a redraw issue... it might be downto using cinnamon as the wm (ie composite issue).
                      wtf would you think I hadn't actually tried something when I said I had *facepalm* extra assburgers for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X