Quake Live Now Available To Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Remco View Post
    I still get the "Sorry, you're not supported" message. I'm using the non-branded Firefox 3.5 build (called Shiretoko).
    Excuse me as i turn on my L33F3R ipod on or mount my L33F3R hard disk.

Comment

If someone has problems with cracking sound, try here. First workaround works here on ubuntu amd64.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
        Excuse me as i turn on my L33F3R ipod on or mount my L33F3R hard disk.
        Well, I didn't do anything to get an unbranded Firefox. That's just what Ubuntu provides me with if I choose to use Firefox 3.5 as opposed to 3.0. If I'd use Konqueror, Epiphany, or Opera, or the new breed of WebKit browsers -- Arora, Midori, then I would have the same problem.

Funny though that you mention the iPod. Newer iPods and the iPhone have an encrypted USB connection, which means you can only use it with programs that Apple specifically allows (iTunes only, so no Linux). Sound familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
          Funny though that you mention the iPod. Newer iPods and the iPhone have an encrypted USB connection, which means you can only use it with programs that Apple specifically allows (iTunes only, so no Linux). Sound familiar?
          what are you giving me this trip for? I cracked a joke and don't plan to go into a philosophical debate. I pity you for taking what I said with any degree of seriousness.

Comment

Anyone having crashes when in-game and going to the options then the intermediate options? Its not a big deal but its kinda annoying if you mistakenly click it.

Comment

Originally posted by #kyz View Post
              Anyone having crashes when in-game and going to the options then the intermediate options? Its not a big deal but its kinda annoying if you mistakenly click it.
              Everyone. Well, almost. It's a known bug on official forum.

Comment

Works great! Although I don't get why it's made to work only with firefox, since it's a java app it basically should work with every browser out there which supports java.

Why make this limitation? There's probably a very good reason why, but still it would be at least good to know why?

Comment

Look into

~/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/

there are binary libs (for 32 and 64 bit). Does not look like java.

Comment

browsers change so rapidly it can be hard to cater to all of them. It's easier just to pick the ones that the vast majority of people will use.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                      browsers change so rapidly it can be hard to cater to all of them. It's easier just to pick the ones that the vast majority of people will use.
                      urgh - do you remember the web 10 years ago!? The Netscape Plugin architecture is a well-known standard and is used by pretty much everything except IE, there's no reason to discriminate between browsers beyond whether they implement it. For support reasons, it'd be much nicer to throw up a message saying "Oh noes, we can't tell what browser you're using. If you have any problems, we recommend trying with Firefox".

The browser whitelist may be a punkbuster thing though, I wouldn't put it past them to checksum various known binaries.

Comment

Working...
                      X