Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    I don't doubt that if we were elves it would work greatly, but we are humans and UNFORTUNATELY in the real world it produces much much more harm than good. Here if you don't protect your freedom you can easily lose it.
    Yeah, humans suck. The best government and economical models are doomed for failure because of our inadequacy.

Comment

That's the trick of the case. PD benefits everyone at the begining, from large companies to individuals and simple users. But since everyone can get the code, it's a matter of time to be extended in such a way that the original code to become obsolete since what matters will be the new technology that will be built on the original code. And since PD permits to a large corporation to close the later code, patent it and struggle education and science like this and sell it to the end user (who ofcourse can afford the money) with tons of restrictions then do really everyone benefits?
      The idea of PD which leads to real benefits it's very utopian. I don't doubt that if we were elves it would work greatly, but we are humans and UNFORTUNATELY in the real world it produces much much more harm than good. Here if you don't protect your freedom you can easily lose it.
      First of all you cannot patent PD code. Again if a corporation utilizes the code they still cannot take the original code out of PD. Once PD always PD. It's just the same if a project utilizing the GPL changes licenses afterwards. The code that was licensed as GPL shall remain GPL and everything after the license change is new new license. There have been instances of this in the past. So what do people do they take they build off of the original GPL code.

In the real world PD has proven very successful. Take a look again at sqlite. It started off as a hobby, has always been PD and if the corporations wish to have a license (for the lawyers peace of mind) on it they may have one for a $1000. The author of sqlite never intended for it to be his main source of income but it has evolved into a thriving project without lack of funding and gives the author a very comfortable source of income. It is his full time job. So in the real world PD does work, and is not a worst case scenario which you present. Adobe, Apple, MS, Google, Sun and many more purchase these licenses and provide the developer with a very comfortable living and allows him to continue full time development on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        First of all you cannot patent PD code. Again if a corporation utilizes the code they still cannot take the original code out of PD. Once PD always PD. It's just the same if a project utilizing the GPL changes licenses afterwards. The code that was licensed as GPL shall remain GPL and everything after the license change is new new license. There have been instances of this in the past. So what do people do they take they build off of the original GPL code.

In the real world PD has proven very successful. Take a look again at sqlite. It started off as a hobby, has always been PD and if the corporations wish to have a license (for the lawyers peace of mind) on it they may have one for a $1000. The author of sqlite never intended for it to be his main source of income but it has evolved into a thriving project without lack of funding and gives the author a very comfortable source of income. It is his full time job. So in the real world PD does work, and is not a worst case scenario which you present. Adobe, Apple, MS, Google, Sun and many more purchase these licenses and provide the developer with a very comfortable living and allows him to continue full time development on it.
        Oh when I speak for general benefit I don't mean just financial of course. The harm I spoke of hadn't to do just with economical scales but the general impact that proprietary software can have and has in the world. Many licenses are good for the owners for making money, especially the proprietary ones. So while its good the owner of sqlite to have a good living through his valuable project, it doesn't prove public domain is an economic (and not only) panacea.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Yeah, humans suck. The best government and economical models are doomed for failure because of our inadequacy.
          Heh if we weren't inadequate we wouldn't need governments at all

Comment

Oh when I speak for general benefit I don't mean just financial of course. The harm I spoke of hadn't to do just with economical scales but the general impact that proprietary software can have and has in the world. Many licenses are good for the owners for making money, especially the proprietary ones. So while its good the owner of sqlite to have a good living through his valuable project, it doesn't prove public domain is an economic (and not only) panacea.
            PD is not proprietary. It's the furthest thing from proprietary as can be. It allows everyone to reap it's benefits and ultimately it is the end user that gains from that benefit.

Comment

• I might also remind you that it was proprietary software that brought personal computing mainstream. Overall the effect of that software has been an over whelming positive for a vast majority of the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                PD is not proprietary. It's the furthest thing from proprietary as can be.
                It is not, I know, I said it would be perfect in a better world.

It allows everyone to reap it's benefits and ultimately it is the end user that gains from that benefit.
                You said it again and I answered. It's tiresome to recycle posts.

I might also remind you that it was proprietary software that brought personal computing mainstream. Overall the effect of that software has been an over whelming positive for a vast majority of the world.
                Be more specific please. I hope you don't mean MS Dos/Windows.
                Last edited by Apopas; 31 August 2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• deanjo asked in 2nd page of this thread the following:
                  BTW Michael, did you hold down the "6" and "4" keys during startup when benching the mac mini 2? Otherwise it will default to 32-bit mode. Only Xserves default to 64-bit.

Alternatively you can use a nice little applet to do this to boot in 64-bit mode:

I thinks this is critical for this test to be answered as far as I know by default snow leopard boots in 32bit mode although it is 64bit capable.

Comment

• What is the latest version of messenger i can download for a mac OS X, and where can i download it? I have a mac OS X, and i have microsoft messenger 7.0.1. Where can i download a newer version?
                    Last edited by loretha; 19 September 2009, 03:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by loretha View Post
                      What is the latest version of messenger i can download for a mac OS X, and where can i download it? I have a mac OS X, and i have microsoft messenger 7.0.1. Where can i download a newer version?
                      You should avoid Microsoft crapware and instead use a multi-protocol IM client like Adium. It is free.

Comment

Working...
                      X