No announcement yet.

Unigine Heaven Update Coming With OpenGL Tessellation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

funny how unigine blows the nvidia horn. Fermi sucks at everything but tesselation - so they release 2.0 which increases the tesselation load. And now this. Smells fishy.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      "Smells fishy. " yes but Death fish.. because nvidia is a Death fish ;-)

in my point of view catalyst 10-5 brings bugfixes and 10-6 brings more of them.. :-)
      so many ppl is still so innocent, really it surprised you that fglrx is tessalation bugged? for god sake if fglrx doesnt even properly accel 2d graphics after what 5 years? how you can expect something that new even work, lol i even think the tessalation function inside fglrx libgl is not coded at all, to me is just a dummy function that always return null just to be gl4 compliant in paper.

unigine heaven will rock in a year or a bit more when foss driver get there, probably catalyst 12.3 will still be useless for tessalation though and maybe and is a big maybe direct2d actually is close to work at least at half speed of foss 2d current accel(LOL) and maybe even xvba works like it should, well is fglrx wich close enough to instead of should :O.

yeah catalyst 12.3 would be an nice update

Comment

I'm not demanding it or anything, just curious, how hard would it be to get this into the radeon driver? Sounds tricky.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          direct2d actually is close to work at least at half speed of foss 2d current accel(LOL)
          Err? Direct2D is only available under Vista SP2 and Windows7 and there is no foss driver for those. Under Windows AMD drivers have/had? only problems with GDI accel. not with Direct2D accel.

Comment

Originally posted by Stebs View Post
            Err? Direct2D is only available under Vista SP2 and Windows7 and there is no foss driver for those. Under Windows AMD drivers have/had? only problems with GDI accel. not with Direct2D accel.
            no, since fglrx it never founded a way to properly accel 2d since ever, they are trying to use opencl/stream (aka gpgpu acceleration) to make 2d faster like they are doing in the windows drivers, they are just maintaining the same name as windows driver aka direct2d (ovbiously is not exactly the same as the direct2d dx11 api, they are just taking the same concept but for xorg api).

i agree that the catalyst for windows is quite decent, but we are talking about fglrx here and linux

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I'm sure asking will only make things worse, but exactly what do you feel "ATI/AMD PROMISED to linuxers some months ago" and how was that promise made ?

For the last three years I have been hearing about promises we allegedly made, but I don't think I have found a single case where that was actually true.
              Maybe not promise but more advertise. AMD/ATI say we support OpenGL but now we have an Company that say the OPenGL Implementation from AMD/ATI is buggy and not usable ( There are some more companies that say that ).

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                Maybe not promise but more advertise. AMD/ATI say we support OpenGL but now we have an Company that say the OPenGL Implementation from AMD/ATI is buggy and not usable ( There are some more companies that say that ).
                To be fair, it was more phoronix saying that than anyone else. Unigine did have some issues with AMD's drivers at one point, but those issues were solved for quite some time before the demo release.
                Also, AMD's drivers are typically best used when you stick to the opengl spec as strictly as possible, which many people don't do (even I've been caught out by it sometimes). AMD isn't always to blame; sometimes the developers need to fix their code instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  "really it surprised you that fglrx is tessalation bugged?"

most of the customers 99% use DX11 for that and no DX11 is not bugged in the catalyst.

i don't care about a benchmark or demo like unigin!

i care about real apps like "wine" !

and wine don't support dx11/OpenGL4 right now!
                  yeah, well remember catalyst receive 99% of the love from amd, fglrx on the other side is heavily bugged to begin with, and 1 thing have fglrx proved in all this years, if it works at least decently on windows already on fglrx will take a hell of releases to even get close. so if direct2d follow the same path that 2d accel, xvba, stream/opencl, wine, etc have follow, well the first releases woud be havoc if you activate "direct2d" until several releases later

well ok unigine demos for now are only eyecandy i give you that, but remember some games from that engine are coming for linux too, so eventually would be peachy to have full support for that engine.

well wine working fine with fglrx is not going to happen any time soon, even the foss drivers are more compliant now than fglrx(ok slower, but the stuff render as it should or at least load the apps without sigsegv's, r700 still miss gl 2.1 support for now)

well remember opengl4 is not a different library or something else, opengl unlike directx doesnt need to have different library or api every version. aka

opengl4 use a lot if not most of opengl 3.3 and opengl2.1 and opengl 2.0 and ok you get the point.

so opengl4 is only a subset of additional functions that call a certain number of registries supported only in a specific set of hardware, in fact you can run tessalation on a non evergreen hardware for example having an opencl fallback (ok wouldnt be that cool as the supported hardware but it can improve the image quality in previous generation if you wanna bother in doing it). so even if you claim wine doesnt support opengl4(wich is only a limited set of function inside the gl library btw) , wine support gl3.3, so ok you miss the goodies of evergreen and some new shaders functions in glsl, but you are using most the gl implementation in fglrx wich is proved again and again to be buggy not only in wine.

so even if you had wine+gl4 support today probably all your games would be equally bugged as they are today

dunno i would just prefered that fglrx team forget for a time gl4 and focus on debug the most of their current libgl implementation, so they can later focus on get a superb gl4 now with a working 3d system, but well

Comment

no, since fglrx it never founded a way to properly accel 2d since ever, they are trying to use opencl/stream (aka gpgpu acceleration) to make 2d faster like they are doing in the windows drivers, they are just maintaining the same name as windows driver aka direct2d (ovbiously is not exactly the same as the direct2d dx11 api, they are just taking the same concept but for xorg api).

i agree that the catalyst for windows is quite decent, but we are talking about fglrx here and linux

and where did you get this information?

besides. that new 2d system is still very beta - so no surprise it is slow.

Comment

yeah, well remember catalyst receive 99% of the love from amd, fglrx on the other side is heavily bugged to begin with, and 1 thing have fglrx proved in all this years, if it works at least decently on windows already on fglrx will take a hell of releases to even get close. so if direct2d follow the same path that 2d accel, xvba, stream/opencl, wine, etc have follow, well the first releases woud be havoc if you activate "direct2d" until several releases later

well ok unigine demos for now are only eyecandy i give you that, but remember some games from that engine are coming for linux too, so eventually would be peachy to have full support for that engine.

well wine working fine with fglrx is not going to happen any time soon, even the foss drivers are more compliant now than fglrx(ok slower, but the stuff render as it should or at least load the apps without sigsegv's, r700 still miss gl 2.1 support for now)

well remember opengl4 is not a different library or something else, opengl unlike directx doesnt need to have different library or api every version. aka

opengl4 use a lot if not most of opengl 3.3 and opengl2.1 and opengl 2.0 and ok you get the point.

so opengl4 is only a subset of additional functions that call a certain number of registries supported only in a specific set of hardware, in fact you can run tessalation on a non evergreen hardware for example having an opencl fallback (ok wouldnt be that cool as the supported hardware but it can improve the image quality in previous generation if you wanna bother in doing it). so even if you claim wine doesnt support opengl4(wich is only a limited set of function inside the gl library btw) , wine support gl3.3, so ok you miss the goodies of evergreen and some new shaders functions in glsl, but you are using most the gl implementation in fglrx wich is proved again and again to be buggy not only in wine.

so even if you had wine+gl4 support today probably all your games would be equally bugged as they are today

dunno i would just prefered that fglrx team forget for a time gl4 and focus on debug the most of their current libgl implementation, so they can later focus on get a superb gl4 now with a working 3d system, but well
                      This seems like a good time to remind that the OpenGL/OpenCL stack in the Linux Catalyst driver (aka fglrx) is the *same* as the one in the Windows Catalyst driver. The OS-specific glue is different, of course, but the core code (>95%) is common - that's the main reason binary drivers exist in the first place. If you want totally different development priorities for Linux and Windows then you really should be looking at the open source drivers - binary drivers from all vendors use common code across multiple OSes so the development priorities are essentially locked together as well.

What you call "Direct2D" acceleration (it's not Direct2D by the way) has never been announced or discussed; you only know about it at all because someone violated their NDA and leaked info about code which was still in development. Complaining about the performance of something that is still under development seems misplaced at best.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X