No announcement yet.

ATI Evergreen 3D Code May Soon Go Into Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those screenshots gave me an idea. What happens if you use those red and green 3D glasses?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
      Those screenshots gave me an idea. What happens if you use those red and green 3D glasses?
      You get a headache, mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
        There is a good reason for this notice at the xorg-edgers ppa:

** Please do not publish instructions for how to install from this archive without linking to this page! Anyone using packages from this archive is expected to read this page first and it is recommended to check back occasionally for notice on problems that may arise. **

Well, at the top of the page it says:

*IMPORTANT NOTICE* - If you are upgrading from one release to another and are using this PPA, be sure to install ppa-purge and use it to downgrade all of this PPA's packages before the upgrade or you will have a broken system.

I can't feel sorry for you if you are too lazy to read but can complain immediately.

On the other hand the packages there contain the same stuff for Maverick and Lucid so you don't need to upgrade.

@Fernandoc1:
        Try the mentioned ppa after you fully read this page.
        Here is a thread if you have further questions.
        Since I did a clean install for the previous Ubuntu release it was at least a year since I read the instructions for the ppa.

You don't need to feel sorry for me because purging it was the first thing I did and I didn't even need to read the instructions to figure it out. I even expected the upgrade to fail. Since I was upgrading to a beta release of the distribution I figured that I could as well do a small experiment to see what happened. As expected the error message received wasn't helpful, it just told you that it failed.

Therefore it's much better to recommend someone to upgrade their Ubuntu system before they even installing the latest drivers. That way they'll receive the latest kernel and a much newer driver. If everything works to their expectation ńo further tampering is needed, but if not, they just need to enable the xorg-edgers ppa without having to install the latest kernel. Using the defaults is of course safer since it won't prevent future updates of Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
          for the Radeon HD 5000 series there still are some OpenGL issues as shown below in our (somewhat blurry) screenshots from a Radeon HD 5750 with there being square textures, some incorrect colors, and other minor artifacts -- there's a reason why we haven't benchmarked this latest Mesa code yet.
          Good, so I'm not the only one having OpenGL issues (which seem to be mostly texture related) with my Evergreen card . Also I'm wondering how to do proper benchmarking with the oss stack, because even with export vblank_mode=0 games seem to be capped at 60fps most of the times.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            Good, so I'm not the only one having OpenGL issues (which seem to be mostly texture related) with my Evergreen card . Also I'm wondering how to do proper benchmarking with the oss stack, because even with export vblank_mode=0 games seem to be capped at 60fps most of the times.
            At the moment, there's a hard limit set in the radeon ddx, but changing it is very simple. agd5f have posted the patch a couple of times, but I can of course not find it right now...

Comment

Speaking of 3D

Hi. Speaking of 3D glasses, I do have a couple of questions about the Gallium driver for our AMD friend:

- Are there plans to enable stereo rendering in the driver?
              - If so, will the driver support gsync for multi-card stereo rendering

One of the classic problems (at least with the software / systems I use) with drivers is getting correct gsync behavior with stereo. I'm not sure if the Gallium framework has anything stereo related included, but it'd be nice to see open drivers tackle this problem. With 3D capable TV's / displays it'll become very important in the near future.

Comment

The code is pretty much all ported from r600c and is in a branch in my mesa repo it just needs to be debugged so the gpu doesn't lockup straight away hopefully today more likely nest week

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                  The code is pretty much all ported from r600c and is in a branch in my mesa repo it just needs to be debugged so the gpu doesn't lockup straight away hopefully today more likely nest week
                  thank you very much sir !

any chance one of you guys adds a knob for setting the fan-speed in the near future ?

when most acceleration-stuff and artifacts are gone this might be really helpful for production use

Comment

Building this into the opengl state tracker and thereby ignoring the spec and doing so while the OpenGL implementation isn't ready sounds like a bad idea to me.

BTW Ioquake already has stereographic 3D build right in, so it doesn't require being a driver thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TomcaT-SdB View Post
                      With 3D capable TV's / displays it'll become very important in the near future.
                      Place your bets, people.

Comment

Working...
                      X