Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD5850 suffering from tearing - challenge to ATI 5xxx owners

Hello,

I've recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a new i5 750 PC that has an ATI 5850 video card. I'm currently using ATI's catalyst 10.5 driver (directly downloaded from website).

I'm suffering from tearing. I bought a new machine to be able to use linux + Compiz and trash Windows. It seems, linux has a long way to go to appeal to desktop users (even if it's ATI's fault - 50% market share).

Whenever I move windows, I get tearing. This is really the most annoying part of it. Something as basic as moving windows should not cause tearing. Please remember that I am using Compiz, and wish to continue to use Compiz.

In addition to these tearing issues, full screen HD flash videos (using 64-bit v10.1 flash shared library) are extremely laggy. CPU usage goes off the roof.

Sample xorg.conf:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
    Option "TexturedVideoSync" "on"
    Option "Capabilities" "0x00000800"
    BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
    EndSection

In Compiz, I have 'Detect Refresh Rate' disabled, Refresh Rate set to 60, Sync To VBlank enabled, and have disabled Unredirect Fullscreen Windows (weird things happen when enabled).

Can anyone please help me? Anyone with an HD5xxx card that is not suffering from tearing with Compiz? I mean even with compiz disabled, moving windows still has quick tearing - not as smooth as in Windows.

Also, if you watch the following youtube video set to 720p on full screen, do you experience any kind of tearing?
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Thank you

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    only 10.6 can save your soul but yes amd need more time to test and certificate the driver..

but care about The Pink Panther sneaking around and break some NDA's for you ;-)
    What's this pink panther? When will 10.6 be out? How will 10.6 help me?

Comment

Yeh, have same problem... - luckily the Open Source drivers work just fine from this point of view...

At this stage, I don't think 10.6 would help you but maybe they'll try to fix it, make this a priority for once.

The tearing is on even with compiz effects disabled so in this case is not related just to that. Yet I have a HD 4xxx not HD 5xxx so not sure if Open Source will work the same for you... but you might get there faster then I did 3 years ago when bought a HD 3xxx then HD 4xxx and now I finally see some results...

In my defense, back then I didn't bought those cards with Linux in mind... back then was only using linux as server, until I saw some improvement in Desktop environment - which got my attention (no, not compiz or other effects - but those are a nice bonus).

So unless you change that card with one from nVidia - I'd suggest you wait for better support from Open Drivers since FGLRX is not targeting the every day user, but the business part as in 3D workstations, so problems like this are not a priority.

Then again, who knows... maybe they'll fix it - i'm just talking from experience here...

Comment

I'm definitely thinking of returning the ATI card for an NVIDIA card. I'm not going to wait weeks, months or even years to get better support. It's 2010 damn it, not 2000. If that's how ATI wants to play, then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          10-6 brings the new age 2D/3d Desktop acceleration turns your computer into a Pink Panther rocket!

10-6 brings more Pink OpenGL fixes

10-6 Pink panther editions do have kernel 2.6.34 support so you can play HOMAM Heroes3 without kernel bugs!

the real 10-6 comes out if amd want to in the future or not no one know that right now...
          Clear you PM please:
          Qaridarium has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Comment

Originally posted by emergence View Post
            I'm definitely thinking of returning the ATI card for an NVIDIA card. I'm not going to wait weeks, months or even years to get better support. It's 2010 damn it, not 2000. If that's how ATI wants to play, then so be it.
            Yeh, but those cards are made with Windows in mind, same as mine - and for their price they over decent performance compared to nVidia... Linux just recently as in the last years got some popularity for desktop systems, but most of them have "OLD HARDWARE" and that's why they went with Linux or even dual boot with Win. Your system is mainstream - near high-end for current times and that shines on Windows. A card like HD 5850 in Linux, is like a Ferrari on off-road terrain.

Comment

There's some discussion of tearing in Ubuntu in a recent (within the last few days including 1 day ago) of tearing with HD 5xxx cards using the fglrx driver. Whether the next driver ver., 10-6(?), fixes this remains to be seen but just pointing out this is from 2010, not 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                There's some discussion of tearing in Ubuntu in a recent (within the last few days including 1 day ago) of tearing with HD 5xxx cards using the fglrx driver. Whether the next driver ver., 10-6(?), fixes this remains to be seen but just pointing out this is from 2010, not 2009.
                This is as old as 2007, when I got my HD 3870 - now i have a HD 4850... and still here, yet with lastest Open Source drivers and since Kernel 2.6.32 VSync is always on by default and that fixed tearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vii7 View Post
                  This is as old as 2007, when I got my HD 3870 - now i have a HD 4850... and still here, yet with lastest Open Source drivers and since Kernel 2.6.32 VSync is always on by default and that fixed tearing.
                  When you say latest open source drivers, do you mean RADEON driver? Can I use it with my HD5850? Where can I download it.

You seem to imply something is wrong in my setup... your message is hopeful.

Comment

The "Radeon" driver does not accelerate HD5xxx cards at the moment. It should be coming soon, but currently, it won't fix your problems.

He is using HD4xxx hardware, which is supported. At the moment, Catalyst will give you a more comfortable experience on your HD5xxx than "radeon".

Comment

Working...
                    X