Parted Magic Continues Being Commercial-Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
    And for the convenience of not having to create your own live media, has I don't know any other distro with has many disk utility on their live version, even through most of the software, in Parted Magic, should be available in their repository.
    SUSE Studio solves that problem handily.

By the way, it's "as", not "has". There is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      By the way, it's "as", not "has". There is a difference.
      I am dyslexic, I know the difference, my brain just not wired to notice it, and sadly that kind of mistake are the one that spell checker don't notice me about.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
        Is Parted Magic made by the gparted developers? Does the money go to them? Otherwise, you are just paying for the mix, and while it takes work, I don't need it, I can as well do with a Xubuntu pendrive. I'd rather donate to the developers of the tool, instead.
        IIRC the Parted Magic developer used to contribute some code to GParted, but I'm not sure if he still does, or how often.

As you can see, the Parted Magic developer did also give monetary donations to the GParted project: http://gparted.org/donations.php

And of course the GParted project also has its own live image with the latest GParted, backup software, etc. included: http://gparted.org/livecd.php

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
          This is a bit similar to that other godawful "spazzlinux" (or something along those lines) which was in a phoronix article some time ago. The one that claimed to be the most beautiful and fastest linux relase because the developer had tried to do some suboptimizations to APT.
          I don't see any use for mot linux releases. Especially those that are nothing but remixes of some more popular release done by a one man dev-team.
          Why are people using these? Why do I see reviews of linux distros? It's pointless. Maybe a handful of sysadmin tools change about a bit, and the default desktop environment and background image. Sheeesh.
          The question is, why do you have a problem with it?

If some group of people wants to spend their time remixing and maintaining their own Linux distro, why do you have a problem with it? There are worse ways to spend your free time. Much, much worse.

And if some people want to use those distributions (and probably, in most cases, some people do, not many people have the energy to maintain a distro just for their own amusement), then those distros serve a purpose, however small.

That's the thing with open software. People can take something, tweak it to their own taste and share it forwards for others who might have similar tastes.

Comment

PM is the best live CD around.
            On one hand, yes, I (and most others here) would get by with any Linux CD. On the other, everyone I work with would not. The thing is that it is clear that the PM author has worked with these kind of people before. With PM, we need a grand total of one kind of Linux CD in the workshop. Just make 10 copies of it (and put it on the PXE server, which BTW PM includes scripts for configuring it). It also works with UEFI and modern hardware, thanks to choosing to include modern kernels.

For gods sake, these were people still using hirens.
            And I hate typing on my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              The question is, why do you have a problem with it?

If some group of people wants to spend their time remixing and maintaining their own Linux distro, why do you have a problem with it?
              Fragmentation.

There are worse ways to spend your free time. Much, much worse.
              and much much better ways. Irrelevant.

And if some people want to use those distributions (and probably, in most cases, some people do, not many people have the energy to maintain a distro just for their own amusement), then those distros serve a purpose, however small.

That's the thing with open software. People can take something, tweak it to their own taste and share it forwards for others who might have similar tastes.
              Forking is a sign that collaboration has broken down and should be a last resort. It is not what primarily is great about open source (open collaboration is), it's a good backup option to have when the shit hits the fan.

But hey, this partedmagic distro seems fairly popular so my initial judgement might be totally wrong about this one. I absolutely see the need for a dedicated sysadmin live-cd distro (though I probably would have grabbed GParted Live myself, from the lack of knowing about this distro and the inconvenience of paying).

Comment

first distro I get from piratebay

Well I never thought I'd see this day here but I did actually get Parted Magic from piratebay. I don't even feel I did anything wrong as I did pay for the distro initially, $5 is OK. Then I lost the ISO I've downloaded a just got a new copy from piratebay ( not really the latest though ).
                $5 is OK, I can certainly agree with that but having not updates and $50/year is way too much considering it's all open source and free software.

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
                  Well I never thought I'd see this day here but I did actually get Parted Magic from piratebay. I don't even feel I did anything wrong as I did pay for the distro initially, $5 is OK. Then I lost the ISO I've downloaded a just got a new copy from piratebay ( not really the latest though ).
                  $5 is OK, I can certainly agree with that but having not updates and $50/year is way too much considering it's all open source and free software.
                  RHEL is also all open source and free software, but for getting updates you will also have to pay at least 50$/year. Is that enough for you to have an excuse for pirating RHEL also?
                  Note that I think that is is legitimate to use PirateBay as source if you have paid the software already, but other than that: If you don't want to pay the price go ahead and do it yourself, as you said it is all open source and free software. Or just use something different.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    RHEL is also all open source and free software, but for getting updates you will also have to pay at least 50$/year. Is that enough for you to have an excuse for pirating RHEL also?
                    Note that I think that is is legitimate to use PirateBay as source if you have paid the software already, but other than that: If you don't want to pay the price go ahead and do it yourself, as you said it is all open source and free software. Or just use something different.
                    AFAIK, with Red Hat what you pay is commercial support, kind of like with Ubuntu. The GPL states they can't stop redistribution, so "pirating" is not a valid term here. Having said this, I do consider that if the one doing the distribution wants to charge for it, and you want to use it, you should pay him, even though you have no obligation to (assuming the one who shared it in PB bought it or got it from other license complying way). Also, the distribution is donating U$S100 a month to the project, so even though I'd prefer to donate directly and use an alternative, is not like they are just taking advantage and doing nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      I did pay for the original ISO as I said, I even have the paypal to prove it. The problem is you can't really compare this to RHEL which is massive but you're right in that I can go ahead and do some DIY. As it is though I'm working for another distro an other open source projects so I don't really have the time/willingness to go into this.
                      As I've said I did make a payment once and I do make regular donations to open source hardware ( I can prove it with the paypal bills if anyone wants to see them ) but if this goes on I've no problem with pirating it even if it's not right/legal. While I do understand it I don't like being forced into paying and I don't like it when I'm asked an unreasonable amount. Best of all you can't even download your ISO whenever you want ( I think the link is valid for 1 month ).
                      So yeah if I get mad and feel like it I might just go ahead and pirate it, who's going to do what about it ? Ask nicely, be reasonable and I'll pay.

Comment

Working...
                      X