NVIDIA Updates Its Linux Legacy Driver For GeForce 6/7 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magika View Post
    ... two AMD devices inside emit crazy heat.
    My AMD devices are asking for my PIN number at the ATM machine

Comment

Originally posted by J?rnS View Post
      Really awesome legacy support, I'm impressed again and again. A shame that AMD isn't able to do it like that.

At the end of the day, that makes the decision between Nvidia and AMD quite easy. The decision Intel <--> AMD processor is a bit harder, especially if AMD can improve single thread performance and lower the wattage.
      First part: I guess contributing to the open source driver is much more than what nvidia does. Nvidia can stop anytime. The open source driver will live on no matter what happens to AMD. This is the real legacy support in my opinion, they place control into the hands of the users.

Second part: If you aren't interested in games, you're OK with any GPU, even some older Intel IGP. If you plan to do some gaming, it's wise to choose AMD, despite the current disastrous state of the drivers. Consoles have AMD GPUs, so that's what future games will be optimized for. (People who think this doesn't matter, remember TWIMTBP...)

Third part: AMD CPUs can come nowhere near Intel processors unfortunately. The decision is only based on budget in my opinion. That's not so hard, people usually either have money or don't.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Second part: If you aren't interested in games, you're OK with any GPU, even some older Intel IGP. If you plan to do some gaming, it's wise to choose AMD, despite the current disastrous state of the drivers. Consoles have AMD GPUs, so that's what future games will be optimized for.
        Console game use some obscure closed APIs with drivers handtuned for specific GPU and those APIs, so your point is weak.
        If you are ok with ~light~ setup Intel is still best choice here.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          Console game use some obscure closed APIs with drivers handtuned for specific GPU and those APIs, so your point is weak.
          If you are ok with ~light~ setup Intel is still best choice here.
          If you think my point is weak, type "mantle" into the search box of phoronix and see how many articles there are about it. (It is the API used by consoles.) Thing is, time may come when new games don't even run on nvidia (and older AMD) hardware. Developers will only use directx/opengl if they can make profit out of it. And they always say releasing for the PC doesn't make any...

Comment

If you think my point is weak, type "mantle" into the search box of phoronix and see how many articles there are about it. (It is the API used by consoles.) Thing is, time may come when new games don't even run on nvidia (and older AMD) hardware. Developers will only use directx/opengl if they can make profit out of it. And they always say releasing for the PC doesn't make any...
            no it isn't present in consoles. xboxone uses directx and ps4 psgl. both sony and ms decided they are not interested in it
            Consoles already have low level API (at least XB1's Direct 11.X does) thus Mantle is built for PCs to more closely resemble the power gains by having closed systems like XB1 and PS4.AnandTech link Mantle is NOT in consoles. What Mantle creates for th

yes, your point is weaker than weak. mantle runs only on amd which doesn't cover most of pc market and even there it is only supported on few gpus.

Comment

Mantle is an API that derived from console's but is not the same,
              XboxOne uses DirectX and Direct3D and/or custom to hardware
              PS4 uses from what I know OpenGL and/or custom

I really hope, that AMD takes and really launches something but they are just another Microsoft company not really focused on GNU/Linux at this moment only releasing fixes/patches to big issues and listening to their enterprise customers not so much desktop.

Nvidia seems to focus on OpenGL and moving more focus to Linux while AMD just looks at it and leaves small breadcrumbs hinting that Mantle is able to launch for Linux "when the market is there". In this pace, the mantle market will probably drop more and more and if not will be gone when OpenGL/Direct3D API's solve or mitigate the issue that Mantle is there to fix.

I really hope that Mantle would launch and give some initiative for vendors to implement ant give one holy API that works on Windows/Linux but given the above and their current pace...im not so optimistic that it will ever launch.

Comment

well

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                The 4850, 6970, and 4890 are all known to have issues; maybe not for good reasons, but valid ones. The 6770m and 5770 should work just fine - I have a 5750 and I get very little problems and haven't for the past 3 years. I've used catalyst for about half the time and I'm currently using open source drivers with very little issues. The only thing that bothers me right now is no crossfire support with the open source drivers (I own 2 5750s). At this point your APU should work just fine.

If you didn't use the drivers supplied by your distro, you're bound to get more issues too.

I'm not an advocate for AMD GPUs - in the windows world, I think they're right on par with nvidia. It just depends on your workload. But for Linux I've always felt nvidia was the best choice since I first started using it in 2007. However, it will only be a matter of time until I no longer think nvidia is the best choice. The radeon drivers are catching up, fast.
                amd 6770m is not supported for windows only way you can bring new drivers is used modded ones (i don't know this when i buy suck thing ofc) opensource driver works for 5770 no doubt but only works since kernel 3.11 with dpm, before that you burn your card

my wish for amd drivers give up from fglrx fired the devs and hired some more to opensource driver

Comment

If you aren't interested in games, you're OK with any GPU
                  That's a gross oversimplification. Video, photography, animation, modeling, GPGPU and a few other areas that aren't games benefit greatly from the right GPU and that's very rarely AMD. As much as I wished the most open of the two would win, AMD just fails at providing the industry the right hardware and drivers on any platform, especially Linux. (And no, not just so called "professional" graphics cards are used in those areas I've mentioned. Albeit even the professional range of graphics cards is usually better from Nvidia than AMD.)

If you look for the more powerfull CPU your choice is almost always Intel.
                  If you look for the more powerful and best supported GPU on any platoform, that's almost always NVIDIA/CUDA.

I'm an AMD fan because I'm always an underdog fan (who isn't?). When AMD's CPUs where more or less equal to Intel in terms of performance, I always chose AMD. Today it takes a real fanatic to choose AMD for CPUs, except for some very specific server builds. In my experience Nvidia has always been better than Ati/AMD. I've never played a single PC game in my entire (and long) life.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post

If you look for the more powerfull CPU your choice is almost always Intel.
                    If you look for the more powerful and best supported GPU on any platoform, that's almost always NVIDIA/CUDA.
                    Pretty much the truth.

Just for the record, i was playing with a Kabini notebook (A4-5000 iirc) i borrowed from a colleague. Slapped on Fedora 20 on it to see how kernel 3.11, mesa 9.2.3 and radeonsi would play on it. The result: GPU locks up within an hour of boot. And the A4's CPU cores are so slow my 6 yr old RM-72 runs faster than it. Catalyst causes GNOME to refuse to start up all. So I am stuck with the open drivers and an hour of computing time before the GPU locks up and i have to hard reboot the notebook.

(And yet, all is fine and dandy in Windows + Catalyst).

Comment

The older k8 wins in single-threaded Cinebench, but loses in most other tests, and uses 35W vs 15W :P

Comment

Working...
                      X