AMD Admits It Has Linux Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who cares about Catalyst

So ok gamers who play under linux state of the art games like ?hh what was the last doom3? would care about a catalyst driver ok that I can understand I can maybe also understand when somebody heavily uses Wine to play under linux, but that can not be the majority. So anybody else would rather use the stable portable automatic easy installable compatible better opensource driver.

So yes AMD have problems with linux, but thats primary because they dont focus on the free driver. its better for 90% of the users, so why not heavily focus on making it better instead I read something about the crappy Catalyst. If I want somewhat stable gaming-fast linux graphics card I naturaly go for Nvidia, the only point in buying a AMD card for linux is because of the opensource driver.

A company who needs to make money should know their selling points. I very much appreciate the better opensource support vs the non-existent from nvidia, but I really hope that nvidia goes also this path, because that seams the only way (competition) to make you move. Or more realisticly the graphic chips from intel like something like fusion and co gets much faster, so that because of the better driver you get more performance with the intel hardware + better driver than with a amd hardware, and more features.

I mean the I liked zacate and bought it for me and 2 others 4-5 times in notebooks/desktops, but thats only because its fast enough and intel is more expensive.

ok if you always want to and have to underbit intel anyway you get me even with a somewhat good driver, but if you want me to pay the same or even more for a amd produkt vs a intel product nearly the same performance level, you have to become much better.

and please bury this binary blob crap.
    Last edited by blackiwid; 29 May 2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

This was not about gaming but OpenCL - accelerating applications (e.g. GIMP) with your GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
        This was not about gaming but OpenCL - accelerating applications (e.g. GIMP) with your GPU.
        I think you are right, they sound like they are not meeting internal goals for their "fusion" or synergy strategy (whatever the marketing name is) or just aren't happy with the progress in some way.

Comment

I think some of the frustration for Linux users comes from the feeling that because of AMD's underdog status they would want to deeply embrace the Linux community and haven't fully made that leap. While they do provide support to the open source driver, it could be so much better. I know that they are fearful about/legally unable to release certain parts of the Radeon specs to the community, but we continue to hope.

I know that if there was full quality support for hardware accelerated video decoding and proper power management, my next laptop would be a Trinity based ultra thin. Also, the low power Trinity chips would be great for HTPC implementations, especially with the ION platform going the way of the dodo.

In a perfect world, I would like AMD to have open source drivers with decent 3D framrates, video acceleration via VDPAU and good power management. I can't help but feel that with these functions, AMD chips would be the go to for a lot of techies building Linux boxes or recommending hardware to their friends. If you throw in OpenCL functionality and application support, AMD on Linux would be in a great spot.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            So yes AMD have problems with linux, but thats primary because they dont focus on the free driver. its better for 90% of the users, so why not heavily focus on making it better instead I read something about the crappy Catalyst.
            Workstations. That's where the beef still is for AMD. Search for posts by "bridgman".

Comment

Faster update to support new X.org ABI

I would like they to more quickly come out with a new release to support the new ABI of X.org whenever there is a new X.org release.

It usually take them week or months.
              Nvidia does this much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                Workstations. That's where the beef still is for AMD. Search for posts by "bridgman".
                Really?
                2011 Linux Graphics Survey Results
                In that survey only 1/10 are professional users. And I don't believe they pay more for the graphic cards than normal people?

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
                  Really?
                  2011 Linux Graphics Survey Results
                  In that survey only 1/10 are professional users. And I don't believe they pay more for the graphic cards than normal people?
                  You can't possibly be supporting a statement with the results of a PHORONIX SURVEY, can you? Do you not realize that a phoronix survey only includes responses from people who ACTUALLY VISIT PHORONIX?

Comment

OpenCL? Omg, always this OpenCL. It's a nice thing to have but there are more important things right now like proper video acceleration and power management on par with fglrx for all chips as well as recent chip support. Okay, they're talking about fglrx but this beast needs support for recent kernel x.org in time, better 2d and better compatibility (e.g. WM compositors)
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      You can't possibly be supporting a statement with the results of a PHORONIX SURVEY, can you? Do you not realize that a phoronix survey only includes responses from people who ACTUALLY VISIT PHORONIX?
                      I didn't try to offend you, but this is the only data that I could think of would show some results.

Of course the sample is limited to people reading the website, but especially here it is more likely to meet Linux professionals than on other pages *I think...

Comment

Working...
                      X