Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 10.9 to Release 15/9/10-usa time

Hi yall,

kudos to Rage3D, where I read this title first.

After many years of following this drivers slow development, one again wonders what will break and what will work....

The team writing "fglrx" is far, far too small, still. Perhaps someone could make the management a cup of coffee?

Unlike the olden days, nVida hardware is borked, unless you don't mind heat, loud fans and of course bumpgates....

I'm feeling somewhat trapped, between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Perhaps my next video card will be an Intel, though there drivers seems ro be "challenged" also.

Oh well, at least Civ V is due out in a week or so. I wonder if my 5850 will handle that?

GreekGeek :-/

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    they chance the stradegie with the 10-6 up to 10-10 all catalyst versions are just bugfixreleases?

after 4 months of bugfixing we will get a stable driver (10.10) ;-)
    i have to see that happening lol, since 10.2 to 10.8 is a havoc of a mess in my 4850x2 or maybe is that radeon is so nice already for my basic wine gaming(civ4 bts 3.19 already work with less glitches than fglrx lol) and desktop that fglrx just dont cut it anymore

Comment

why do you buy a x2 for linux use ?
      1.) well i have windows 7 x64 for games i cannot run under wine like crisis warfare/batman arkham assylum/ mass effect/ CODMW2/etc. and i kinda like to max out everything to insane levels like 16x AA

2 was cheaper than a 4870x2/gtx295 but way faster than a 4890

3 waiting for opencl, when the day comes i want to encode my videos using as many cores as possible from my big GPU

4 when radeon begin to accept multigpu render to scream more fPS in wine

5 it takes 1 pciE instead of 2, so my msi 790fx GD-70 can handle 4 cards/ aka 8 GPU

6 good enough for near future until the top x2 card from southern island reach the market aka i want a 6970 or 6870x2 card and a quad socket mobo with 4 opteron 16 bulldozer cores(??)

btw i initially have 2 4850x2 but i decided to sell one and buy a gtx285 for one of my office's workstation

since i don't spend much of my money in social life i like to buy the bigger hardware i can for my pc's every 2 years

Comment

i drop windows and this kind of games 4-5 years ago ...

i'm happy with old games and wine and OS games.

do you know of the hardware bug in the r700 ?
        there are 2 gpu caches important for openCL and R700 emulate 1 of this cache in the vram!
        an R600 theoretical can handle openCL to but r600 neet to emulate 2 of 2 caches in vram

in openCL a passiv cooled 5750 75watt can beat your hd4850X2! because of the vram emulatet gpu cache!

there is no roadmap or plan to get multigpu rendering for the radeon driver.

the radeon mesa driver is fokused on single gpu cards

mesa 7.9 brings opengL2.1 and r800 support and mesa8.0 brings opengl3 and maybe galium3d next is openCL support in my point of view..

there are zero DEV resources for multigpu rendering...

hey me to but i'm poor ;-) but yes my social life is the same
        about multigpu rendering i readed some time ago in this forum that david airlied had some code already and a SoC guy was intending to help on that sector, i dont think this will be fast but hey when i bought this card having a decent driver with fglrx or radeon was a pipe dream, who knows what will happen in the next year.

so is not that i buyed the card expecting have crossfire instantmagically but more hoping in a mid term future -- same with opencl

Comment

fglrx? i think you talk about the radeon one?

well in my point of view the 10.9 catalyst is a devent driver..

and i think on catalyst you are much more lucky on multiGPU rendering.

and OpenCL works on cataylst to ;-)
          well fglrx have exactly the same issues for me that any other release
          aka

1.) crossfire is a meh, sometimes you gain some few fps but most of the time it plainly do nothing or generate all type of havoc and render glitches

2.) opencl, well it seems decent but some of my devs tested it regularly and nvidia still wipe the floor with fglrx in many use scenerios, so for now quadro are here to stay in my particular case

3.) fglrx and wine is still a no go for me at least, i can bear the slowdown with radeon but i can't bear that many freaking lots of rendering glitches, especially with civ4 and codmw2(yes it works with wine, im so happy)

4.) for some reason radeon feels much faster in my normal everyday composited desktop than fglrx + kwin trully hates fglrx shaders so is still a no go

5.) i noticed a massive slowdown in unigine sanctuary since 10.4 80ish fps to 8 fps now(same in windows and only with fglrx, nvidia in both oses is almost the same than dx10)

i admit fglrx is begging to take shape but after this long road i just dont have the patience anymore, especially since radeon is much better for my everyday use + if i need to do something heavy with 3d i'll probably my nvidia pc's at the office anyway and my only regular game civ4 run decently enough using radeon. so is not like i need it

Comment

"2.) opencl, well it seems decent but some of my devs tested it regularly and nvidia still wipe the floor with fglrx in many use scenerios, so for now quadro are here to stay in my particular case"

you know hd4xxx emulate 1 opencl gpu cache in vram so a hd4xxx card can't beat a nvidia ever.
            i hope you do your testing with a hd5000 card.

and wine is still nvidia focused but i think on dx10 games this will be better because on dx9 there are many renderpaths and on dx10 there are only1 renderpath..
            all test are made with a firepro V7800 2GB, im pretty sure this card is based on 5000 series but is true that im not sure if this bug prevail in this card. on nvidia we use a Quadro FX 3700(is not a tesla system but is good enough and accesible for my clients)

about wine dx10 is almost(few less glitches) the same but slower and i have corruption on native games too, which i dont have with radeon or nvidia or nouveau. and well many ppl are freaking out with hon support too(i dont have it, maybe someone will post how it went with 10.9)

Comment

as a note im not telling that nvidia is faster than amd at hardware level, im just saying that for my specific needs nvidia behave much better and stable than amd at software level and since some of my apps are critical i just cannot afford to use something like fglrx(even if nvidia have many issues too is very stable in controlled enviroments but i can't just make that happen with fglrx and redhat/novell products for my specific needs <not a fan of those distros but enterprise users want enterprise distros >).

im not implying either that fglrx opencl is bad, to me it could be that opencl is working over cuda on nvidia wich is a tech more mature and tested for the big sharks and well amd opencl/stream is very new(at least i've never seen a product based on stream on the consumer or enterprise market, i can be wrong ofc)

Comment

i'm thankful to nvidia+apple to build something like openCL and if you use openCL for your work also on an nvidia that is ok because you get an real chance to run the same code on an amd card in the future.

stream+cuda are just an old storry about an cold war in the past.

intel for exampel do not wana openCL because they wana make more money on cpus..
                What are you talking about? get your facts straight.

OpenCL was initially developed by Apple Inc., which holds trademark rights, and refined into an initial proposal in collaboration with technical teams at AMD, IBM, Intel, and Nvidia. Apple submitted this initial proposal to the Khronos Group. On June 16, 2008 the Khronos Compute Working Group was formed[1] with representatives from CPU, GPU, embedded-processor, and software companies. This group worked for five months to finish the technical details of the specification for OpenCL 1.0 by November 18, 2008.[2] This technical specification was reviewed by the Khronos members and approved for public release on December 8, 2008.
                [3]

Members of Khronos Group

In 2006, some of the OpenGL ARB Working Group members were:
                AMD/ATI (AMD acquired ATI)
                Apple Inc.
                ARM Holdings
                Creative Labs
                id Software
                Ericsson
                Google
                Intel Corporation
                Motorola
                Mozilla
                Nokia
                Nvidia
                Samsung Electronics
                Sony Computer Entertainment
                Oracle/Sun Microsystems (Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems)
                Texas Instruments

Comment

Learn to read or stop being a troll.

Comment

Working...
                  X