Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What The New Linux Game Publishing Will Look Like

Phoronix: What The New Linux Game Publishing Will Look Like

Clive Crous, the new CEO of Linux Game Publishing following the resignation of founder and CEO Michael Simms, has issued a message to Linux gamers concerning the future of LGP...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's no point porting games to Linux that were created like a decade ago, until they port it it will be even later.

Comment

I don't get it

OK. Desura is pretty good, but honestly I'm hoping that the Steam for Linux will properly show up -- I think it will, now that the Mac guys are already there and hopefully turning a profit. Not that I give a shit about the Mac people, but their success would show that its possible to turn a profit on one of the "alternative" platforms and Linux and Mac users seem to have roughly similar numbers.

But LGP ways always a bad idea. Loki at least had relatively modern games, I bought a bunch of them myself. LGP's games are hilariously ancient.. does anyone want them? I don't. Frankly, the future here is indie games which are getting pretty awesome these days.

LGP, I think, could safely close their doors and I'm pretty sure I'd never notice. I know why most of their games are old, yeah, I get it, its hard to get the contracts to do it. But speaking in practical terms, I just don't want to pay todays prices for games a decade old. Most games a decade old I don't want at any price, really.

Comment

Something that LGP never understood: only very few want to pay for the same game per arch. As they do not have got rights to publish for win/mac on desura they will still fail. When you buy a game that is available for more than 1 arch, which is always the case when it got ported, then you want all arch.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Something that LGP never understood: only very few want to pay for the same game per arch. As they do not have got rights to publish for win/mac on desura they will still fail. When you buy a game that is available for more than 1 arch, which is always the case when it got ported, then you want all arch.
          Actually a really good point. Doesn't steam have a similar policy where the game is available on win/mac too?

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
            But LGP ways always a bad idea. Loki at least had relatively modern games,
            It is not exactly true:

"In December 2008, LGP launched PenguinPlay, a new website for Linux gamers, allowing matchmaking for multiplayer games, and social networking.

In June 2009 they began offering downloadable games and game rentals.

In September 2009 they released the first commercial game for Linux using the Nvidia PhysX middleware."

Creatures: Internet Edition - 2001 (LGP), 2001 (Windows), 2009 (Mac)
            MindRover: The Europa Project - 2002 (LGP), 2000 (Windows), 2003 (Mac)
            Candy Cruncher - 2003 (LGP), 2002 (Linux), 2001 (Windows), 2002 (Mac)
            Majesty: Gold Editionl - 2003 (LGP), 2002 (Windows), Only standard edition - 2000 (Mac)
            NingPo MahJong - 2004 (LGP), 2003 (Linux), 2002 (Windows), 2003 (Mac)
            Hyperspace Delivery Boy! - 2004 (LGP), 2001 (Windows), not available(Mac)
            Software Tycoon - 2005 (LGP), 2001 (Windows), 2002 (Mac)
            Postal?: Share The Pain - 2005 (LGP), 2003 (Windows),2004 (Mac)
            Soul Ride - 2005 (LGP), 2000 (Windows), not available (Mac)
            X?: The Threat - 2006 (LGP), 2003 (Windows), 2004 (Mac)
            Gorky 17 - 2006 (LGP), 1999 (Windows), 2002 (Mac)
            Cold War - 2006 (LGP), 2005 (Windows), 2006 (Mac)
            Knights and Merchants - 2007 (LGP), 1998 (Windows), 2001 (Mac)
            Ballistics - 2007 (LGP), 2001 (Windows), not available (Mac)
            X?: Reunion - 2008 (LGP), 2005 (Windows), 2007 (Mac - Cider)
            Jets'n'Guns - 2009 (LGP), 2004 (Windows), 2006 (Mac)
            Sacred - 2009 (LGP), 2005 (Windows), not available (Mac)
            Shadowgrounds - 2009 (LGP), 2005 (Windows), 2011 (Mac)
            Shadowgrounds - 2009 (LGP), 2007 (Windows), 2011 (Mac)
            Last edited by gbudny; 04 February 2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
              OK. Desura is pretty good, but honestly I'm hoping that the Steam for Linux will properly show up -- I think it will, now that the Mac guys are already there and hopefully turning a profit. Not that I give a shit about the Mac people, but their success would show that its possible to turn a profit on one of the "alternative" platforms and Linux and Mac users seem to have roughly similar numbers.
              I don't see success in Steam for Mac OS X, because Mac App Store is better solution for gamers and producers:

279 Games

Comment

Postal 2 is crossplattform, the installer is bad however (2 files missing or so on the fudgepack dvd). I remember that i fixed it just for fun At least there you get all versions of a game on the official dvds, not sure what you get when you buy it from lgp.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Postal 2 is crossplattform, the installer is bad however (2 files missing or so on the fudgepack dvd). I remember that i fixed it just for fun At least there you get all versions of a game on the official dvds, not sure what you get when you buy it from lgp.
                  Postal Fudge Pack was released on November 13 2006, one year after Postal 2 for Linux (Linux only - LGP).

"Postal 2 became Linux Game Publishing's fastest selling game in its first month, and contributed greatly to the continuing profitability of the company"

"Share the Pain
                  The updated edition of the game, entitled Postal 2: Share the Pain included a multiplayer mode . The Macintosh and Linux versions of Postal 2 shipped only as Postal 2: Share the Pain. Share the Pain has since far eclipsed the original production version of Postal 2 in all markets. As part of a promotional effort to advertise the Postal film, in 2008 RWS released the multiplayer part of the game as freeware, minus the unrealed based level editor PostEd."

Comment

Did you look at the CURRENT lgp price? You must be completely mad when you buy it from lgp - and it is not even the pack...

Comment

Working...
                    X