Google Gets Ready With VP9 Codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
    They have HW already for vp8. I think nvidia already built it into their mobile chips. And I'm pretty sure other chipmakers are about to ass well.
    VP8 support is specified as part of the Android Multimedia framework since Android 2.3.3.

See Table 1. Core media format and codec support:

In order to meet this Android multimedia framework requirement, most current ARM SoCs (as used in mobile devices) include hardware support for VP8:

It is not a case of "About to", for most makers of ARM SoCs it is more a case of "already do". Qualcomm, Apple and Sony are the holdouts.

No doubt all of those who already include VP8 support in hardware will be quick to include VP9 support as well in their newer ARM chips.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      IIRC any programmable DSP that can support H.264 can also accelerate WebM. And almost all Android devices have a DSP that can accelerate H.264.
      Almost all Android devices since Android 2.3.3 have a DSP that can also accelerate VP8.

See under "Systems with dedicated VP8 support" on this page:
      Last edited by hal2k1; 13 May 2013, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        Now will they finally put their foot down and kill off Flash and their Pepper API? Beat H.265 to market and force all Android phone makers to support it.
        God I hope not. The PAPI Flash is the only decent flash available on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
          I'm pretty sure the idea was that they would make Flash obsolete as a whole, not just stop releasing Flash on Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
            I am just curious, but how is that so?
            I know that Adobe Flash Player via the Pepper API is at version 11.7, while the normal NPAPI version is stuck at version 11.2.

But what really is the difference?
            What difference does it make?

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
              Prehaps not, but it will weaken MPEG LA by significantly driving down the prices that they'll be able to charge people. That means it'll hurt their ability to develop new codecs in the future because they won't have as much money to spend on it because it won't be as profitable.
              You don't understand the matter. MPEG LA is just an agency. They don't own any patents and they don't develop any codecs. Anyone who wishes to seek to license MPEG patents can just go to the actual patent holders and try to get a better deal.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I am just curious, but how is that so?
                I know that Adobe Flash Player via the Pepper API is at version 11.7, while the normal NPAPI version is stuck at version 11.2.

But what really is the difference?
                What difference does it make?
                11.2 supports DRM (but you need to have the ancient "hal" running)
                Pepper flash does not support DRM (on linux).

You can watch google play movies with 11.2, but not with 11.7.

Last edited by ChrisXY; 13 May 2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdffs View Post
                  Let me know when libvpx encode performance isn't absolutely pathetic. I was hoping to use HTML5 video for a realtime streaming application, but the MP4 container is a piece of crap and can't be stream encoded, and libvpx performance is so bad that maxing an IVB i7 results in blocky unwatchable crap with a realtime deadline. Until they fix performance, flash is sadly still the only option for on-the-fly encodes, and libx264 is still absolutely light years ahead in terms of performance and output quality per CPU cycle.
                  You obviously don't know what you're doing. You certainly can do mp4 file streaming. Move the metadata to the front of the file and it will stream happily. qt-faststart is one utility that can do it for you. (qt and mp4 are pretty much the same).

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    You obviously don't know what you're doing. You certainly can do mp4 file streaming. Move the metadata to the front of the file and it will stream happily. qt-faststart is one utility that can do it for you. (qt and mp4 are pretty much the same).
                    You obviously don't read properly - I said it can't be stream encoded, and was quite clear that I was doing realtime encoding. MP4 can not be encoded as a stream, it can only be converted to work with streaming after the entire encode is complete.

Comment

Working...
                    X