Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.33-rc7 Released, Still Many Regressions

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.33-rc7 Released, Still Many Regressions

Linus pushed out the Linux 2.6.33-rc7 kernel yesterday afternoon, but still even being seven release candidates into the Linux 2.6.33 kernel cycle, at least one more test release is due before we may see an official release. The number of regressions for the Linux 2.6.33 kernel is still high and is somthing that isn't pleasing Torvalds. While the Linux 2.6.33-rc7 kernel release should lower the regression count with many fixes going in since 2.6.33-rc6 last Friday, there is also some Intel and ATI Radeon DRM driver updates still being pushed into this next major release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael I think the kernel-tracker.phoromatic.com is a verry good ideea, hope the kernel developers take a look from time to time at it.

Comment

Speaking of regressions on kernel-tracker, has the Threaded I/O Tester really gotten that much faster as of a week ago? A sudden two-order speedup seems slightly suspicious to me. Is it actually doing the test?

As a side note, it seems it would be handy to have a "Most Recent: " result on the PTS graphs in addition to average, peak, and low. Or even just number along the left side to match the right.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
        Speaking of regressions on kernel-tracker, has the Threaded I/O Tester really gotten that much faster as of a week ago? A sudden two-order speedup seems slightly suspicious to me. Is it actually doing the test?
        No, it's a new version of the test profile and due to a bug it's not showing up under a new graph, but will be fixed when I get back to my office.

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
        As a side note, it seems it would be handy to have a "Most Recent: " result on the PTS graphs in addition to average, peak, and low. Or even just number along the left side to match the right.
        Good point, will add that when back to office.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I guess this post is too late to the game to be seen by anybody. But starting with rc7 I lost 3D acceleration in my ATI HD3450. It worked pretty well up until rc6 (this is all kubuntu lucid). And it worked 25% faster than the Ubuntu 2.6.32 kernel.

Comment

Can you go back and forth between rc6 and rc7 with/without acceleration (to make sure it wasn't some other component making the difference) ? If so suggest you file a bug ASAP, or check on #dri-devel to see how the devs want to handle it.

Any new messages in dmesg output or xorg log ?

What exacttly does "lost acceleration" mean in this case ?
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Can you go back and forth between rc6 and rc7 with/without acceleration (to make sure it wasn't some other component making the difference) ? If so suggest you file a bug ASAP, or check on #dri-devel to see how the devs want to handle it.

Any new messages in dmesg output or xorg log ?

What exacttly does "lost acceleration" mean in this case ?

yes, I can go back and forth. This is with the open source stack. I haven't had the time to check dmesg or the xorg log systematically as to file a decent bug report.

What I mean is that if I fire up any 3D game or PTS test I get essentially a horribly slow slidewhow at 0 fps (seems to be a frame every 3 to 4 seconds).

I agree, we want to catch these regressions, I am not sure where to report though. I thought of using the kernel bugzilla, then Drivers / Video (DRI/Non-Intel). Would that make sense? I'll need to get some more info later today in order to do that. I also tried the latest kernel from the mainline ppa (nightly build) and the regression is still there.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

I would go with bugs.freedesktop.org, pick "DRI" then component "DRM/Radeon".

It's possible the kernel tracker is now the right place but from the older pick lists I'm guessing fd.o is still the way to go.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I would go with bugs.freedesktop.org, pick "DRI" then component "DRM/Radeon".

It's possible the kernel tracker is now the right place but from the older pick lists I'm guessing fd.o is still the way to go.
                  Thanks, I'll also check rc8, it's just out:

Comment

I found the issue. Up until rc6 KMS was failing, but starting with rc7 it succeeds. However, with KMS enabled 3D acceleration is incredibly poor. If I disable it from the command line I get performance back.

But all of this is with Ubuntu Lucid, which is using:

Code:
                    Display Server: X.Org Server 1.7.3.902 (1.7.4 RC 2)
                    Display Driver: radeon 6.12.99
                    Maybe I need newer radeon for that kernel? If you happen to read this, do you still think it makes sense to file a bug report?

Comment

Working...
                    X