Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Developers Have Issues With Linux GPU Drivers Too

Phoronix: Firefox Developers Have Issues With Linux GPU Drivers Too

Mozilla Firefox 4.0 will feature GPU hardware acceleration using OpenGL (or Direct2D/Direct3D under Microsoft Windows) acceleration for WebGL content and even HTML5. This support is there for Windows and Mac OS X, but for Firefox 4.0 the Linux support has been disabled and WebGL is also blacklisted for most drivers. Why? It's the problematic GPU drivers, of course...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't worry, in 5 years the r600g driver will be a rockin when running on an HD3000 card.

Comment

Chrome seems to have no problems with this stuff so far.

Comment

i find it hard to believe that linux's 3d is hard to work with. even before linux had any decent video drivers, people still made 3d games. maybe not good ones, but they worked. if the ff devs are focusing explicitly on open source drivers and not proprietary, then really, they're idiots. open source video drivers are just about the worst open source products there are. besides, if they can get 3d working with proprietary drivers from other OSes, as i see it, that should mean that they only have a few things to tweak to make it work. they don't have to claim the entire 3d portion of the browser non-functional, they should just simply discourage using open source drivers temporarily. its better to have something than nothing.

even opera puts more dedication to their linux side than firefox has. i'm glad i'm an opera (and chrome) user.

Comment

Man, that quote made me rage a bit. I don?t see why they could not just focus on the proprietary drivers and call it a day. Firefox is disappointing me more and more each day. I?m all for open source drivers, but this is simple sad.

Comment

I would hope that the Firefox devs would open a dialog with the Xorg folks to fix the specific issues they have. Maybe they could even hire an Xorg dev? We need more and now that Firefox is interacting with X on a deeper level, it would only make sense. Firefox has traditionally pushed the limits of X anyway, triggering all sorts of bugs in rarely used code paths in the X server and drivers. Again, it's only fair they start helping out.

Comment

Not sure I'd take that quote seriously. Many others don't have such troubles under Linux, and a single comment there without anything in the way of what is actually going wrong doesn't prove much. It could well be firefox's internals that need some fixing up. Now if such a statement had some actual evidence to back it up, that would be a different story.

Comment

Wow, what a useless feature! But seriously, I'm gonna be interested in gpu acceleration only about the html5 videos, so until that actually is used on the net, this is really not a concern. Is there really anyone interested in having stupid 3d animations on his browser?!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterIO View Post
                  Wow, what a useless feature! But seriously, I'm gonna be interested in gpu acceleration only about the html5 videos, so until that actually is used on the net, this is really not a concern. Is there really anyone interested in having stupid 3d animations on his browser?!
                  that is an excellent point, but as i see it (based on my previous post), its mostly the principal of WHY they didn't add it. i'm sure most people could care less otherwise.

Comment

Graphics drivers and the engines, are the biggest problem with using Linux. Everything is affected by their quality.

Making the best graphics back-end should be the biggest priority for developers.

Comment

Working...
                    X