Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC 2.0.5 "Twoflower" Has Experimental Blu-Ray Support

Phoronix: VLC 2.0.5 "Twoflower" Has Experimental Blu-Ray Support

VideoLAN's VLC was released this weekend with more than 50 fixes and several improved features for this multi-platform open-source media player...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I switched from VLC to smplayer a few months ago because VLC doesn't support vdpau, and looks like 2.0.5 still doesn't.

With vdpau CPU usage went from like 50% to like 4%. Technically you can do a custom build of VLC with vdpau support but it doesn't work properly, otherwise it'd ship by default.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I switched from VLC to smplayer a few months ago because VLC doesn't support vdpau, and looks like 2.0.5 still doesn't.

With vdpau CPU usage went from like 50% to like 4%. Technically you can do a custom build of VLC with vdpau support but it doesn't work properly, otherwise it'd ship by default.
      In theory it's possible to wrap VA API (which VLC supports) around VDPAU, although the wrapper never worked for me.
      There are some cases when SMPlayer can't play movies via VDPAU and then it always shows a popup that playback failed and that VPDAU won't be used. Personally I found that alone so annoying that SMPlayer can't be my main player.

Comment

I switched to vlc player because for me it seems to have the best support fo vaapi though VLC + vaapi works flawlessly for me on intel HD4000

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          I switched to vlc player because for me it seems to have the best support fo vaapi though VLC + vaapi works flawlessly for me on intel HD4000
          That's because you're using Intel and I have Nvidia.

@Awesomeness, that's true, but I'm using the driver 310.14 from a ppa which fixes stuttering of windows and other vdpau fixes (like blue skin in flash) and a ppa version of smplayer which plays fine like 95-99% of the movies, and in the rare case when it's glitchy I switch to VLC which I keep around.

I like playing 720p and 1080p movies, and boy does smplayer (that is, VDPAU) make a difference in cpu usage, the CPU fan stays quiet and I like it a lot.

BTW, I heard gstreamer is planning VDPAU support for next Spring, and even if it lands in Fall 2013 it's still a big win for Nvidia users imo.
          Last edited by mark45; 18 December 2012, 04:45 AM.

Comment

That's because you're using Intel and I have Nvidia.
            I'm fully aware I'm on intel and you are on nvidia, I was just offering a contrasting experience.

Comment

Bah! VDPAU -- you might as well suck off steve balmer if you like closed source garbage that much.

Now the actual interesting parts... are crystalhd - dedicated video decoder hardware with open source drivers, and OpenMAX, which will finally make VLC viable for Android. Previously, Android was limited to the "android" video player for all hardware video decoding. Software video decoding is quite obviously not acceptable for battery powered equipment or virtually ANYTHING over VCD resolutions on an ARM chip.

Comment

I think a very important thing to point out is that the article is a bit misleading. Some of the features listed were ALREADY PRESENT in VLC >= 2.0.

The parts to look at are those under 2.0.5 ***SPECIFIC***....

Originally posted by VLC
                2.0.5 specific changes

Rework and fixes of the Mac OS X interface
                Fix Pulseaudio initial synchronization
                Fix MKV, SWF, AIFF and subtitles demuxer crashes
                Translations updates and new Welsh translation

DVB-S delivery system detection
                Fix audio and video track selection through libVLC
                Fix system sleep issue on Mac OS X 10.5
                In other words... a few minor bug fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  Bah! VDPAU -- you might as well suck off steve balmer if you like closed source garbage that much.
                  Quite a dirty mouth for someone without any clue.

VDPAU is not closed source. The VDPAU library is fully FOSS under a BSD license:

Not only that but VDPAU (and not VA API) has a Gallium state tracker which means that all GPUs with a Gallium3D-based driver provide VDPAU acceleration:

Comment

I believe the way VLC works requires them to read the decoded video back to the CPU so they can perform post-processing, streaming, etc. on it, and VDPAU doesn't allow this.

They could add in a mode to VLC which just dumps the video to the screen like most players do, if they wanted to support it, though, at the cost of certain features no longer being present when using VDPAU acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                    X