Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X server crashes with 8.29.6 drivers

Hi to all,
    I use Slackware 10.2 with kernel 2.6.16.9 and ATI drivers 8.29.6. My graphics card is Radeon X1900XT with 512 MB. The drivers seems to work fine, but I tryed them with kernel 2.6.17.11, 2.6.17.13, 2.6.18 and they don't work fine. The problem is X server crashes in the following conditions:

- trying to restart X server with CTRL-ALT-Backspace
    - trying to enter in other virtual consoles, for example with CTRL-ALT-F2
    - terminating the current KDE session

The strange thing is that it seems that my monitor goes out of frequency, indeed the usual writings as ANALOG and DIGITAL appear, then the monitor turns off (I have a Samsung SyncMaster 760BF lcd monitor). So I'm not sure that X has completely crashed, maybe it "only" sends the monitor out of frequency. The incredible thing is that in drivers Known Issues section (https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206....6.html#182038) this problem is not mentioned. It seems that ATI releases drivers without testing them in a serious way.
    Anyone has my same problem? I'd like to use kernel 2.6.17.x or 2.6.18, but ATI forces me to use only kernel 2.6.16.x.
    If there is no solution to this problem, how can I contact ATI, as submitting a ticket (https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...asp?deptID=894) for Linux is not possible. Can we make a petition to improve ATI driver quality for Linux?

Thanks for the aid,

Scorpion77

scorpion77:

The conditions you mention have been present with the fglrx drivers for some time. However, not all users experience these X crashing problems; in fact, most generally do not have those problems. I have worked on over a dozen ATI fglrx systems so far with the 2.6.17/2.6.18 kernel and not a single one has had any problems, granted they were using FC5/FC6 and not Slackware.

Your statement of ATI releasing drivers without testing them seriously, is inaccurate. ATI maintains a relatively large Beta testing team that is comprised of the public as well, and with that said each release generally goes through a fair amount of testing.

Your best bet for seeing this problem resolved is to submit those bugs to the unofficial ATI Linux BugZilla. If I recall correctly, those bugs are already in the system so just be sure to add your details appropriately.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      scorpion77:

The conditions you mention have been present with the fglrx drivers for some time. However, not all users experience these X crashing problems; in fact, most generally do not have those problems. I have worked on over a dozen ATI fglrx systems so far with the 2.6.17/2.6.18 kernel and not a single one has had any problems, granted they were using FC5/FC6 and not Slackware.

Your statement of ATI releasing drivers without testing them seriously, is inaccurate. ATI maintains a relatively large Beta testing team that is comprised of the public as well, and with that said each release generally goes through a fair amount of testing.

Your best bet for seeing this problem resolved is to submit those bugs to the unofficial ATI Linux BugZilla. If I recall correctly, those bugs are already in the system so just be sure to add your details appropriately.

Ok, sorry for doubts about ATI programmers and their skill, but the kernels I tried, they are all precompiled by Patrick Volkerding, and I downloaded them from official Slackware mirrors. Maybe Patrick changed some kernel options so that new ATi drivers won't work fine.
      I'll try to recompile my kernel. If u have some advice relevant what options enabling/disabling before I'll compile my kernel, I thank you very much.

Scorpion77

Comment

Here are some links to BugZilla entries for your problems, or what sounds to be very similar issues. I skimmed through all of the bugs but didn't see anything off hand for addressing the issues; granted I had quickly looked over the information.

Be sure to report back with any successes/failures. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Here are some links to BugZilla entries for your problems, or what sounds to be very similar issues. I skimmed through all of the bugs but didn't see anything off hand for addressing the issues; granted I had quickly looked over the information.

Be sure to report back with any successes/failures. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
          Thanks for your help. I made a new bug report, and I hope I explained my problem exhaustively. This is the link to my bug report:

Scorpion77

Comment

Working...
          X