GNOME 3.8 Is Dropping Its Fallback Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Just contributing doesn't help anyone! We need contributing that fucking helps! If I contribute a patch that gets accepted because maintainers are morons and it fucks your computer up I think you would complain wouldn't you? You wouldn't say : yeah but he is contributing I am not! No! You would tell me to go fuck myself with all my retarded code! What is this attitude that I contribute so it doesn't matter if I actually help or run things into the ground?
    that's the most bizzare analogy i've heard. in any case, not only are you not trying, but lord knows you're certainly not helping. so you don't have any right whatsoever to slag others off for not, as you say, helping.

sshhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
      That comment is 2 years old ? when Xfce was used far less often then today.
      Gnome 3.0 wasn't even out, so weren't all those ?If you don?t like GNOME Shell, switch to Xfce? articles.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
        IMHO it's great that Gnome 3 is like it is. Would be pretty boring if it looks and behaves almost the same as Gnome 2 or XFCE 4.10. Also since Gnome 3.4 or even 3.2 the behavior and look can be easily changed via extensions. What's the issue with Gnome 3 again? Was it missing configurability which actually is there via extensions?
        Those extensions are a band aid and break all the time, most of them only usable until the next point release.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
          if you look more back then you will see that one of the main reasons why kde earned so much hate which now evolved in an often unexplained antipathy, is that kde on the older versions tried to impress with tons of features but was one of the worst coded things a computer engineer ever saw. kde was for a long long time the quality joke of the linux world, the windows in the linux world. a lot of blinky blinky, patching it together overtime to not explode on the first click.
          Let me fix that comment for you:

?If you look more back, then you will see that one of the main reasons why KDE earned so much hate which now evolved in an often unexplained antipathy, is that it was always very well engineered but initially used a non-free toolkit. In addition to that, the GNU folks were jealous that within only two years the KDE devs managed to get a full-featured desktop environment up and running which revealed that after their Hurd kernel they failed a second time with GNUstep. Forced to effectively abandon GNUstep they built GNOME on designs matching Microsoft Windows? OLE and COM technologies. Secretly impressed with KDE?s source code, they ported KHTML to GNOME and called it gtkhtml which aside from the mandatory copyright header in the source code files was never again mentioned that gtkhtml is really just ported KDE software. Later Apple were so impressed with KHTML ? while lacking features it was extremely well designed ?, they abandoned working with Mozilla and forked KHTML into WebKit. After that even Google joined WebKit and GNOME adopted KDE technology a second time.
          More envy from the GNU/GNOME crowd came from the fact that they never ever were able to build an office suite. Once started with big words, only Gnumeric emerged which was never properly married with 3rd party word processor AbiWord. OTOH Nokia being impressed with KOffice/Calligra, opted to base their mobile office viewer on that code base.
          GNOME ? for years not able to modernize their platform ? looked once again full of envy to KDE who were able to completely rewrite their desktop, give their window manager composite features, etc. In their despair GNOME imported Clutter and Mutter, developed by 3rd party Intel, into their source tree to modernize at all costs to compete against KDE who were at that time already making advances in the mobile space with Plasma Netbook whose ?Search and Launch? paradigm was then adapted by GNOME, together with KDE?s Activities and an OSX-like dock and merged as GNOME Shell. In the meantime KDE revolutionize once again with silent ports of their technology to QML which GNOME once again can?t match, resulting in further trash-talking to not lose completely.?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            That comment is 2 years old ? when Xfce was used far less often then today.
            Gnome 3.0 wasn't even out, so weren't all those ?If you don?t like GNOME Shell, switch to Xfce? articles.
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/williamjonmccann

Well this is obvious:
            William Jon McCann's Education

The Johns Hopkins University
            Physics, Film and Media Studies
            1994 ? 1998

No BS, he's not in the Computer Science department, literally.

Wonder how he learned to code? Given he is listed as a Senior Software Engineer
            although his last job was Senior Systems Architect; Computing Lead: Advanced Camera for Surveys. WTF??
            Systems Architect isn't coding. It's building computers and loading operating systems.

For fukz sake RedHat. You hiring amateurs?

I remember my old company hiring a PolySci major and a Stock Broker as Software Developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
              Those extensions are a band aid and break all the time, most of them only usable until the next point release.
              I use the System-Monitor now for ~1 year and it never broke, same with the volume mixer and some other smaller stuff... Good that is a plugin for minimum 3.4 (I just installed it into 3.6 with Fedora 18, no prob)

btw. xfce4 and KDE have a start-menu and it breaks all the time!

Comment

What I'm trying to say is that a lot (if not most) of the code that gets into these projects is useless and is actually doing more harm than good. Just because they write that code and not me does not take away my right to say that their DE is shit (and also not use it). What really pisses me off is that they have a perfectly useable DE and then they come up with a new user experience or whatever they call it these days that ruins it. It cripples the mind! How can you have a perfectly usable interface and just decide to fuck it up? And then when you tell them that what they did is no good they tell you that you're insane and you should bow down to them since it wasn't you who wrote it!

If I make a decision should I expect everybody to accept it just because it was my decision? Did they ask anybody if their new desktop paradigm was any good? No, they just assumed they were right. People still want to use the fallback mode. They don't want to support it. Why? Cause they just don't since they like their new desktop better. But their new desktop isn't usable (I think you know I am not the only one believing that) so shouldn't they at least consider that they might not be right? And you'll say but it's their desktop they can do whatever they want with it you're not contributing and of course they can! But I think most people don't want them to fail! That is why we try to tell them that what they did doesn't work! If we did want them to fail we just wouldn't use it and move on to something else! Why if somebody tells you you fucked up you take it as a personal insult? Sometimes you do fuck up! But to continue to fuck it up when a lot of people tell you you're fucking it up and not consider them is just plain stupidity! I and other people don't want gnome to go to fuck! I used gnome until the 3 version. I even tried gnome shell for a few days. It just doesn't work as it should. It's annoying.

Is it really that hard to think that maybe the new desktop paradigm was a mistake? Nothing wrong with trying something new. But not everything that you try is gonna be a success. Accept it and move on.
                Narcissistic people never admit they are wrong. The power Gnome foundation holds over Linux Desktop is too grave for them to fail us like this. They should be held accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post

Well this is obvious:

1994 ? 1998

Here's some insane ramblings from his blog.

We want every corner of GNOME to be delightful and well cared for. The little things. Like how the calm stability of the sidebar reassures and anchors me. Or how the way automatically updating the name of my computer in the sidebar, when it changes, delights me. Or the way the application allows me to focus on my goal shows me respect. This is what we want.

WTF!?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post

Well this is obvious:

1994 ? 1998

Wonder how he learned to code? Given he is listed as a Senior Software Engineer
                    although his last job was Senior Systems Architect; Computing Lead: Advanced Camera for Surveys. WTF??
                    Systems Architect isn't coding. It's building computers and loading operating systems.

I remember my old company hiring a PolySci major and a Stock Broker as Software Developers.
                    i don't have a degree either, if you want to say something about my skill as a coder?

Comment

What I'm trying to say is that a lot (if not most) of the code that gets into these projects is useless and is actually doing more harm than good. Just because they write that code and not me does not take away my right to say that their DE is shit (and also not use it). What really pisses me off is that they have a perfectly useable DE and then they come up with a new user experience or whatever they call it these days that ruins it. It cripples the mind! How can you have a perfectly usable interface and just decide to fuck it up? And then when you tell them that what they did is no good they tell you that you're insane and you should bow down to them since it wasn't you who wrote it!

If I make a decision should I expect everybody to accept it just because it was my decision? Did they ask anybody if their new desktop paradigm was any good? No, they just assumed they were right. People still want to use the fallback mode. They don't want to support it. Why? Cause they just don't since they like their new desktop better. But their new desktop isn't usable (I think you know I am not the only one believing that) so shouldn't they at least consider that they might not be right? And you'll say but it's their desktop they can do whatever they want with it you're not contributing and of course they can! But I think most people don't want them to fail! That is why we try to tell them that what they did doesn't work! If we did want them to fail we just wouldn't use it and move on to something else! Why if somebody tells you you fucked up you take it as a personal insult? Sometimes you do fuck up! But to continue to fuck it up when a lot of people tell you you're fucking it up and not consider them is just plain stupidity! I and other people don't want gnome to go to fuck! I used gnome until the 3 version. I even tried gnome shell for a few days. It just doesn't work as it should. It's annoying.

Is it really that hard to think that maybe the new desktop paradigm was a mistake? Nothing wrong with trying something new. But not everything that you try is gonna be a success. Accept it and move on.
                      your opinion is just that: your opinion. i think gnome 3 is absolutely excellent, and while it does have its flaws, it's a gigantic leap forward from gnome 2.

but hey, that's just my opinion: it's not some kind of universal objective truth.

Comment

Working...
                      X