No announcement yet.

Fedora 19 Readies AMD "RadeonSI" Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesa in Archlinux already "ships" with radeonsi and with xf86-video-ati ships with glamor enabled, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Everything in Fedora gets 1 major upgrade in that release's lifetime. From kernel to mesa to KDE. So they could ship mesa 9.1 and upgrade to 9.2 upon release. Same with kernel, they'll ship 3.9 and upgrade to 3.10. But not 3.11 (or 4.0 depending on how Linus is feeling)
      Not necessarily, F18 shipped with kernel 3.6 and they already updated all the way to 3.8.5

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Everything in Fedora gets 1 major upgrade in that release's lifetime. From kernel to mesa to KDE. So they could ship mesa 9.1 and upgrade to 9.2 upon release. Same with kernel, they'll ship 3.9 and upgrade to 3.10. But not 3.11 (or 4.0 depending on how Linus is feeling)
        Not quite. Fedora kernel is fairly close to upstream releases and can get more than one major release because backporting security and bug fixes is too much work for Fedora kernel maintainers. KDE has one major update because it is out of sync with Fedora releases and Mesa gets backported as necessary. The general guidelines and exceptions are at

Learn more about Fedora Linux, the Fedora Project & the Fedora Community.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          Not quite. Fedora kernel is fairly close to upstream releases and can get more than one major release because backporting security and bug fixes is too much work for Fedora kernel maintainers. KDE has one major update because it is out of sync with Fedora releases and Mesa gets backported as necessary. The general guidelines and exceptions are at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy
          Huh... Actually did not know that. I knew KDE got the one major release, I just assumed that THAT was just general policy-- N+1. Actually glad to see I was wrong thanks for the correction Rahul.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Can someone please elaborate on what the current state of GLAMOR is?
            Does it support multi-monitor configurations properly (zaphod, xinerama)?
            At least zaphod mode wasn't supported not long ago (don't know about xinerama).
            What about screen rotations? Does it work?

Thank you!
            Last edited by entropy; 30 March 2013, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Michael , can you benchmark SI. Not these multi GPU tests you were doing so far, but simple Catalyst vs Mesa with one SI card. So we can see, where Mesa is.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                Can someone please elaborate on what the current state of GLAMOR is?
                Does it support multi-monitor configurations properly (zaphod, xinerama)?
                At least zaphod mode wasn't supported not long ago (don't know about xinerama).
                What about screen rotations? Does it work?

Thank you!
                It still tears, I hear

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  It still tears, I hear
                  Question is, how severe is the tearing? Is it those kind of 'temporary' tearing which disappears once you force the display to redraw the affected portion by simply moving stuff (e.g.: a window) to the tear area?

Or is it a more severe 'permanent' tearing that stays on for the entire session even after the display has been refreshed?

I can live with the first, but the second one obviously makes the display unusable.
                  Last edited by Sonadow; 30 March 2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Question is, how severe is the tearing? Is it those kind of 'temporary' tearing which disappears once you force the display to redraw the affected portion by simply moving stuff (e.g.: a window) to the tear area?

Or is it a more severe 'permanent' tearing that stays on for the entire session even after the display has been refreshed?

I can live with the first, but the second one obviously makes the display unusable.
                    I wouldn't call the first one tearing; that would be corruption or a failing damage/refresh call, if moving a window over it fixes it.

Tearing is an incomplete update when something changes, see this example for how horizontal tearing looks like: http://community.avid.com/cfs-filesy...ng-example.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      It still tears, I hear
                      Hmm. Isn't that solvable with multi-buffered compositors?
                      At least, wasn't that the conclusion from "some other" thread?
                      Well, that probably adds some latency, but there is no free lunch, I guess.

I'm still eagerly waiting for information about GLAMOR's status
                      concerning multiple screens and screen rotations.

Comment

Working...
                      X