Linux Driver Support Still Leaves A Lot To Desire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    It is not possible since windows 3.1, and every single my attempt has failed from there, because of HAL, driver integration (infestation) model and such things as NTFS streams.
    Repair option will just mess up the system. It is clearly stated by microsoft that REINSTALLATION is required when changing hardware.

I thought that your microsoft masters have instructed you about it, so stop FUDing.
    So it's not only me that thinks elanthis is just stupid troll who does FUD.

Comment

Originally posted by Lugaidster View Post
      Whether you like it or not, there are many users aggravated by most of what appears on that list. But I guess you either don't care about other people's problems or you're too enveloped in your own perfect world that you just don't want to see it. There's none so blind as those who will not see...
      What users? Just those who're dumb and this list is written by a moron and it's flawed. The list of regressions in the Linux kernel is very low and only idiots counts every architecture Linux supports and Windows can only dream about. To make a proper list someone should take a SINGLE Linux distribution. When a single Linux distribution is an example then nearly all of the biased list problems simply go away.

Comment

The last binary ETHERNET driver i remember was nvnet. forcedeth replaced it later. The other well known binary driver was broadcom-wl. It took ages (i would say around linux 3.2) till the standard kernel drivers could replace it completely. I would not say it was hard to install - i wrote for example a script with dkms support for wl and ubuntu autodeteced wl as well via jockey. It really depends on the background you have got to decide what is really hard and what not. Today most (w)lan chips are supported directly by the kernel only some rare ones (like fritz usb b sticks) are not supported at all. Well if there is a regression in the kernel it can hurt much as well. I don't know whats up with ipw2200 that network-manager did not allow wpa with it. But i dont have that chip to test on my own. In general i would say lan (ethernet) is very good supported, wlan maybe 90% or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          Gaming hardware is sound cards and graphic cards? Sound is something I think everyone wants working. Graphics acceleration has become standard in nearly everything. Even FireFox is accelerated. OpenCL would have applications outside of games as well.

Also, like it or not, people don't go out and buy the latest fastest computer for typing documents and sending out E-Mails.

You're either....

A. An artist who's going to need the fastest graphics hardware anyway.
          B. A gamer who wants the best frames per second.
          C. Someone who has too much money.
          Graphics Accelleration works for me. With Free drivers. I don't need OpenGL4 for a wobbely window.

Creative cards are a no go for anyone who cares about quality. They are gamers cards. I'd prefer an M-Audio Delta any day.

Comment

Wouldnt it be simpler to use spdif? Then the cheapest card is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Wouldnt it be simpler to use spdif? Then the cheapest card is enough.
              If you're referring to the comment above about maudio-delta ~ that is a multi in/out proaudio card (low-end) - a little more useful than the SPDIF on your MOBO. Plus, if you are using spdif - you're probably going to need a proper stereo to do the decoding - which i would expect lots of people have, but for example - my system is hooked up to 'studio monitors' - which obviously render SDPIF useless, but provide more accurate (true), pristine sound.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                What users? Just those who're dumb and this list is written by a moron and it's flawed. The list of regressions in the Linux kernel is very low and only idiots counts every architecture Linux supports and Windows can only dream about. To make a proper list someone should take a SINGLE Linux distribution. When a single Linux distribution is an example then nearly all of the biased list problems simply go away.
                Didn't bother to read the rest. Obviously you're biased.

Comment

We have New problems, and still some old ones

I'm a systems engineer, I work exclusively on GNU/Linux. However I'm loyal to the GNU/FSF part, not the Linux part, experience some Android style permissive "freedom" for explanation :P. I rabidly hate Apple, and think Microsoft is starting to look downright open by comparison. So with this intro taken care of, now the ripping begins...

Our community is completely dysfunctional at this point, we have serious problems that are very fixable, but apparently the only people who have the talent never feel they are worth fixing. The kernel side of DRM has finally started to look good, but Mesa is nothing less than a complete mess. The fact that it works at all at this point is a miracle, we are losing supported features faster than we are creating new ones. Old drivers should have long ago been ported to Gallium3d, in fact there should have been a full transition almost completed by now, the basic fact that you can do things lazy and get almost no features from community work.... is exactly why the projects that need the community most are in the worst shape. Luc I'm looking at you buster, you know how this applies. Still for X86 things are practically peachy in comparison to ARM..... ARM Mesa support is so bad, it's practically nothing but a framebuffer compatibility library. How about our great progress on wayland? O yea, oops those MESA problems again....

Now for some props, on this sphere.... the players in the mix that have been doing great work despite Mesa's horror show.

AMD,
                  LunarG
                  Khronos
                  Valve

O, and an Honorable mention for the Freedreno Gallium3d work.
                  We have no chance in hell of fixing anything until we cleanup this mess.
                  Last edited by techzilla; 14 March 2015, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Still, IMO Linux is quite good in terms of drivers.

IMO, Linux is quite good in terms of drivers. Sure, there is always room to improve. On other hand, Linux does not requires fiddling with 10 CD-ROMs to get things on wheels. Then, you do not have to do dozen of reboots. And it is possible to report bug with sane amount of efforts if something goes wrong. On other hand, if you face bug in windows driver ... okay, good luck to get rid of this bug! And some hardware actually works better under Linux. Say, nForce chipset drivers are nightmare under windows. Yet everything works fine under Linux. What's more fun is the fact it is reverse engineered driver. Yet it works better than original one. Or, say, Intel GPU drivers can give numerous headaches under windows, being bugged to degree web browsers blacklisting them. So no WebGL and no rendering acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                    X