No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix Is Looking Great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the use of dockbar and window applets (or their equivalents, anyway), the latter to maximize screen real estate. One thing I don't like is the inconsistent icon set. Some of the notification icons are grey and others are colorful. ONE OR THE OTHER!

Comment

A bit of a GNOME Shell vibe on it. Nice.

Comment

Like to gui but left me disappointed this weekend...

My girlfriend's daughter's eeepc 1005 something or other got infected with a virus. Called in to assist, I trialed ubuntu remix only to find the wireless card wouldn't work. I found a solution on line but it's far more than what I'd expect the average user to go through. Me, I wouldn't mind reconfiguring whenever I updated my kernel... But this is going to have to work out of the box for most users to consider. Had better luck with Moblin 2.0 and easy peasy but she decided to stick with XP for now.

Comment

Which driver was needed? broadcom wl?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Which driver was needed? broadcom wl?
            According to research, its got a Atheros AR9285 adapter. The driver was readily available on the backported repository. I didn't try it but, reportedly, the wired connection was broken out of the box on remix, too.

Comment

ubunto 9.10 wireless problem solved

I have a Asus eee pc 1000he with 60gig ssd so yesterday I wiped xp off and installed Ubuntu 9.10. Everything worked fine except the wireless would not reconize my router. I tried eveything with no luck. I wired my eee to the router went to the EEE pc 1000he download page and downloaded the latest xp driver. Well Asus hid the driver in a in a install package. I then installed the window wireless driver package, finally was able to steer it to the driver, installed and bingo the wireless now work great. All I can say is do I now have a very fast netbook & very happy. Just wanted to share. jim_joh

Comment

Originally posted by jim_joh View Post
                I have a Asus eee pc 1000he with 60gig ssd so yesterday I wiped xp off and installed Ubuntu 9.10. Everything worked fine except the wireless would not reconize my router. I tried eveything with no luck. I wired my eee to the router went to the EEE pc 1000he download page and downloaded the latest xp driver. Well Asus hid the driver in a in a install package. I then installed the window wireless driver package, finally was able to steer it to the driver, installed and bingo the wireless now work great. All I can say is do I now have a very fast netbook & very happy. Just wanted to share. jim_joh
                I didn't understand exactly wht you do. Did I read something wrong? Ubuntu 9.10 worked with the driver for xp?

Comment

Yes. First download a program called "windows wireless drivers" Download the xp driver from Asus and this program installs it. jim_joh

Comment

Originally posted by jim_joh View Post
                    Yes. First download a program called "windows wireless drivers" Download the xp driver from Asus and this program installs it. jim_joh
                    Very interesting. Could you plz give the link to this program?

Comment

I have Ubuntu 9.10 and the program is in Ubuntu Software Center,system tools. Web site is jak-linux.org/projects/ndisgtk. I hope I copied it right. jim_joh

Comment

Working...
                      X