• Show
Clear All

I can assure you this isn't fake news.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I can assure you this isn't fake news.
      But was this a fake post? It is April Fools Day.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Nothing was fake about the post.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I wish more journalist websites would publicly name and shame people who approached them with dubious and misleading things like this.
          We can only hope you're not insinuating phoronix would be a "journalist website".

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            I dont understand why some people are so defendish over him, last time I answered to him on this side, suddenly I got attacked by one guy for calling him maybe in danger of becoming a psychopath, instead of him doing this bad stuff.

I dont want to make that bigger than it is, I dont work with him or others so it does not hurt me much, but you should think twice who you try to defend with what reasons and who you attack.
            It's not because of him. Calling someone that, without actual evidence, is greatly insulting, and insults were the last thing we needed in that topic. As for attacking and defending, I defend everyone equally and attack no one.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Not in Europe it wasn't!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              As for attacking and defending, I defend everyone equally and attack no one.
              But what if attack is the best defense!

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with this. This is just how the world works.
                I think Scott was pretty nice about it too and tried to explain why he's proposing the idea.

I believe declining the offer was the right choice, but posting private e-mails is a bit rude to say the least.
                Are you going to post every single e-mail you get from someone asking about marketing? How do you think startups startup?

Anyway, thanks for the entrainment you've provided me. If I start seeing more dirty laundry, drama, and things that should be kept private on the site I may start visiting it less often, though. I can get those things elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                  Anyway, thanks for the entrainment you've provided me. If I start seeing more dirty laundry, drama, and things that should be kept private on the site I may start visiting it less often, though. I can get those things elsewhere.
                  I just read again the article, I dont really know, what to say, I mean except his offer to pay micheal for news he did nothing toooo wrong, I guess.

But micheal also does not bash him for anything else, he just posts what he did wrote and let the reader decite what he finds not ok or ok.

I could even think of that mareau would like that article because he get publisity what he wants most.

One thing I did miss last time I did read it, was the count of the emails, >20 emails in 3 days. and like micheal said it wasnt like forth and back communication but basicly 1 email to micheal than a response than 20 as response to that. yes thats no crime, but I think its a bit strange.

So if you think thats ok with the "kickback" thing, you should not have big problems with the released emails, because then you would most likely think that nothing is there that lets shine mareaus light less

But I think Micheal is know for releasing all he heares form other people in person and per email, if he think its news worthy. Basicly what journalists or somebody like that does?

So you should maybe not wonder if you send stuff to him, that he quotes you in a article, or do you think there are some special rules when he can quote you and when not?

I find that solution maybe also not ideal, but its hard to defend yourself against this guy, like I quoted somebody he tried to get somebody fired.

So he seems to either want to be big friend with somebody or if you do something he dont likes you are his biggest enemy. So maybe just writing to him, hey stop spamming me, and making him stop thinking you both are biggest friends ever, could backfire in some way.

Then micheal would risk maybe some attacks. I dont know... maybe I think to much about it.

maybe its really primary to get many clicks because of the ongoing drama. Like I said mareau gets with that article also what he wants, and it seems he dont care to much of his good reputation. Because he basicly lost it anyway.

We have that saying in germany " if your reputation got destroys, you can live without caring about it" its a german rhyme.

So if you would for one second think of mareau would not care about that, and at least till now he did not post here something against it, even he has a account and most likely did read it, because he has "plenty of" "time" now.

And micheal did get a good article, so basicly all got what they wanted I guess.

And we got transparence, so basicly a win-win-win situation (excpet if mareau thinks he has a good reputation he could loose, and dont want to?)

But even than he lost more reputation with the other quotes of insulting people than with this article, I dont think that could harm his reputation, in contrast to the irc logs you could even see that he at least when he cares can work together with other people

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                    I don't see anything wrong with this. This is just how the world works.
                    No, this is not how the world works. Offering money for (positive) coverage is what is wrong with this. Especially when attempting to collect donations through that.

I'm not necessarily happy with the way all that is happening/covered/displayed, but the approach was wrong in itself, even if naive.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                      No, this is not how the world works. Offering money for (positive) coverage is what is wrong with this. Especially when attempting to collect donations through that.

I'm not necessarily happy with the way all that is happening/covered/displayed, but the approach was wrong in itself, even if naive.
                      Maybe i missed it, but i don't think he asked anywhere for "positive" coverage. He just asked for Michael to publicize it. That's essentially the exact same thing as paying for an advertisement, and he didn't even ask that it had to be good publicity.

That said, I am glad Michael turned this offer down. I just don't think there was anything nefarious going on here.

Comment

Working...
                      X