Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDDM: A Lightweight QML-Based Display Manager

Phoronix: SDDM: A Lightweight QML-Based Display Manager

A Phoronix reader has announced his work on SDDM within the Phoronix Forums this weekend. SDDM is a very lightweight display management that takes advantage of Qt's QML...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

SLiM

how does this compare to SLim? SLim has even fewer dependencies; X11, libjpeg, libpng, freetype.
    Last edited by cynyr; 19 January 2013, 03:54 PM. Reason: Fixing link to SLiM

Comment

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
      how does this compare to SLim? SLim has even fewer dependencies; X11, libjpeg, libpng, freetype.
      Yes but arent slim themes harder to write and get the same level of functionality in comparison to lightDM? The goal of lightdm was have a clean, modern, standardized core and then the greeter frontends could all be distro-specific with no problem. Want an update to lightdm? Rebase off mainline, slap your greeter right back on and youve got all the same benefits all the other distros do but still your branding.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Why yes, clearly *shaders* were the thing missing from login managers...

Comment

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
          Dependency-wise SLiM is slimmer. Codebase-wise SDDM is much smaller, 713 vs 3651 lines of code (sloccount figures).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Yes but arent slim themes harder to write and get the same level of functionality in comparison to lightDM? The goal of lightdm was have a clean, modern, standardized core and then the greeter frontends could all be distro-specific with no problem. Want an update to lightdm? Rebase off mainline, slap your greeter right back on and youve got all the same benefits all the other distros do but still your branding.
            Slim themes are harder to write and somewhat restricted. In SDDM you write your theme however you want, just call the needed functions for authorization/shutdown/reboot when necessary, just like using a library. So you dont have to worry about the restrictions of the backend when designing your themes. Animations, transitions and all other stuff are bonus points.

Regarding LightDM, lets say I just wanted to scratch an itch and I am simply sharing it now.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Why yes, clearly *shaders* were the thing missing from login managers...
              What is wrong with adding the ability to use shaders? If most of us the window managers that are composited and gpu-accelerated, why shouldn't the display manager be? Why should we restrict ourselves and theme designers? Display manager is the one first things a user sees it has to be attractive, IMHO.

I would start right from QML2 and require OpenGL (ES), if I could use Qt5 easily in my distro of choice (Arch). If you dont want eye-candy or have a hardware that doesn't support hardware acceleration, you are free not to use it. Thanks.

Comment

I think a login manager should authenticate via:
                * Bluetooth and NFC security tokens and smartphones
                * USB sticks, dongles and security tokens
                * Smart card
                * Fingerprint
                * LDAP and Active Directory

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  * Smart card
                  * Fingerprint
                  Things that will need to be added to LightDM if they arent already, eventually. Especially the last 2
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    * Smart card
                    * Fingerprint
                    These items probably should be implemented at PAM level and by writing a theme that instructs the user, it should be doable.

Comment

Working...
                    X