Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Component out problem

Hello Everyone.

I've finally decided to register today after weeks of searching for the answer elsewhere with no luck.

Hopefully you guys could help.

I'm trying to get a display onto my HD "Compatible" LG rear pro tv which has a 2 component inputs.

It's connected to my linux pc using the ATI HDTV adapter (the one with the switches) via the radeon 9550 dvi port.

I'm using the lastest 8.40 driver which is supposed to support component out but all i get is a blank screen even though i've tried many "modeline" suggestions floating around on the net.

The aticonfig --help command doesn't fully explain how to add a cvmode it just says something like --cvmode=width,height,flags,basewidth,baseheight,ref resh

Firstly what does "flags" mean? what am i supposed type there?

Does anyone know how to correctly use this aticonfig command to add a cv mode?
    Better still, does anyone have a working xorg.conf for my setup.

This all works fine in windows so i know that it's not the adapter or equipment.

Any help appreciated.

Since you're using an HDTV adapter, you probably shouldn't try to set component video for your graphics card (since it's not natively supported).

Did you try to use --query-monitor and --enable-monitor?
    ex:
    Code:
    # aticonfig --query-monitor
      Connected monitors: crt1, crt2
      Enabled monitors: crt1
    # aticonfig --enable-monitor=crt1,crt2
    This should work because from your graphics card's perspective, the HDTV adapter is just another dvi display.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

with aticonfig i've tried the "query" & "enable" monitor options and it seems the tv is recognized and enabled as crt2 instead of hdtv.

is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by ripley607 View Post
        Thanks for the reply.

with aticonfig i've tried the "query" & "enable" monitor options and it seems the tv is recognized and enabled as crt2 instead of hdtv.

is this normal?
        As I said before, your card doesn't support HDTV natively, so the adapter that you're using is seen as just another DVI display. So yes, it's normal.

Does it work though?

Comment

**Sigh** Yet another fruitless answer.

Simple question, has anyone out there with a similar setup got theirs to work?

If yes, how exactly did you do it?

Comment

Simple question, has anyone out there with a similar setup got theirs to work?

If yes, how exactly did you do it?
            It is highly unlikely that anyone can help you, because:
            1. fglrx just started supporting tv-out (since 8.40)
            2. fglrx's component video functionality is undocumented

The only source of information on this is aticonfig's limited --help.

You can try looking through your xorg.log to see if the driver detects your dongle/tv, or use aticonfig --query-cvdongle. Also, check amdcccle as it's supposed to offer you some options/info.

**Sigh** Yet another fruitless answer.
            You have to do your part as a user-in-need-of-help (ex. do some research, post relevant info).

Also, it seems that the dongle works with radeon.

EDIT: the solution I previously proposed *should* have worked, but it seems the card has to be set in "component mode" (from the manual) for the dongle to work (ie. the dongle doesn't do all the work by itself as it should).
            Last edited by Xipeos; 04 September 2007, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks for answering politely even though my last post was a bit sarcastic. (thought i was gonna get flamed )

I understand & appreciate that your trying to help me but im sure you can see why someone could get angry with these buggy/duff drivers ati have given us.

I mean, how can they release something and say it supports component video out when theres NO docs or help on the subject.

Well, ive had enough of this rocket science just to get a tv output and think i might as well go back to the darkside. as least the driver works there.

Thanks again Xipeos. (sincerely this time)

Comment

Working...
              X