Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTK+ 3.0.0 Tool-Kit Officially Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 3.0.0 Tool-Kit Officially Released!

Phoronix: GTK+ 3.0.0 Tool-Kit Officially Released!

It's been a little more than a week since the final release of GTK2 was made available and at that time GTK+ 3.0 was nearing its official release. Today, after being in development for years, GTK+ 3.0 has been officially released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good to have GTK for a worst-case scenario if Nokia was to announces it will kill off MeeGo (and therefore also Qt) tomorrow.

Ubuntu will make use of GTK3 with Ubuntu 10.10 in October.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Good to have GTK for a worst-case scenario if Nokia was to announces it will kill off MeeGo (and therefore also Qt) tomorrow.
      Qt is independent from MeeGo, and MeeGo is developed by Intel too.

Comment

I just have a question about this GTK+ (3.0) release:

Is it API/ABI compatible with GTK2 or not?
        If it isn't, I think It'll take some time (like python3) to be adopted by a large amount of distros (currently, for instance, only a few apps use python3 instead of python2 and most distros still don't have python3 in their official repos).

About the project, I hope this release to be at least as successful as GTK2 was, but personally, I prefer Qt much more.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
          Is it API/ABI compatible with GTK2 or not?
          If it isn't, I think It'll take some time (like python3) to be adopted by a large amount of distros (currently, for instance, only a few apps use python3 instead of python2 and most distros still don't have python3 in their official repos).
          It's a major version change, so no, it is not. It's meant to be installed alongside gtk2.
          Upgrading, even having code compatible with both GTK2 and 3 should be possible.

While i also would choose qt for any new project, many existing GTK projects could still upgrade (eventually), so there is still a big gain however you look at it.

Comment

Does GTK 3.0 support c++? If not, why not?
            In my experience, c++ is way better for gui programming than plain c.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
              Please try gtkmm

Comment

Look up Gobject introspection (gir). It has tons of language support.

Comment

Gtkmm is the C++ binding. It's a great API and is far easier to use than the C API.

Comment

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
                    Gtkmm is the C++ binding. It's a great API and is far easier to use than the C API.
                    I totally agree, however what bothers me is that there might not be any gtkmm3 any time soon.. is there?

Comment

Working...
                    X