Debian GNU/Hurd 2013 Release Brings New Packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    wast of time using hurd, after 25 years... use the resources to focus in some who works and have future
    Who are you to dictate what developers work on in their own time?
    If they want to work on Hurd, then they can work on it. If they don't want to contribute to Linux, then they don't have to.

Comment

Not computing here...

Debian has more like 30,000 packages...how is "over 10,000" 75% of that?
      Or are they citing source packages?

Networking the HURD way is bizarre; NetBSD was more similar to Linux than that.
      On the other hand, the HURD approach to mounting things seems to make some sense (not meaning that settrans is good, but rather that details like user-specific mounts work without any special permissions).

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        Shouldn't it just be Debian GNU? Seems redundant to call it gnu/hurd when hurd is the gnu kernel.
        Mr. Stallman really likes calling systems userland/kernel.

Let's continue!

GNU/Linux
        GNU/Hurd
        JVM/Linux (jk Android)
        Apple/Darwin
        Windows/NT

Oh I'm lovin' this.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
          What do you guys think of this? Do you agree with him or not? I'm a big fan of Linux and his work (GNU), but I have a hard time understanding what he meant here.

I know some people are offended by these comments, but I don't know.

What are your thoughts?
          This isn't really relevant, is it?

The man's a complete nutcase, but at least there were a few instances of random genius sprinkled in there. I think he gets most of his attention just because of how insane he is.

EDIT: There's another funny quote in that wiki page by the way. He told us at DTU to carefully pronounce his project a GNU with a G to avoid confusion with the animal. Unfortunately, in Danish, the G is pronounced for the animal as well. Quite a few people were having a laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            So basically Microsoft will win every argument. The only thing they need to do to bury everything open source is just tell people that Richard Stallman started it all and quote him on those things. I wonder why they didn't try that already. It would be a perfect slander campaign and would turn a lot of people from trying linux.
            It’s not like they did not try that. But it fell short when people realized that “I see little evidence that…” does not say “do it”. Stallman is quite careful with words and has full-length articles on most of his quotes.
            Last edited by ArneBab; 23 May 2013, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
              Linux is a great Kernel, but Hurd has some very interesting and useful features (foremost the translators) which make handling things hard to do with Linux _very_ easy.
              It has taken so long to get a working system, because the Hurd-developers are focusing on constructing a well-designed system, and not focusing on rapid development. Even though the Linux kernel may work good, it is in many ways a fragmented system mainly due to the fact it has undergone heavy development in the last 20 years, which is not easy to keep together well.
              Also the mean number of developers working on the Hurd each year is about 6 - in their free time. That 6 people can make the kernel work quite well says something about the design and the strength of free software. Keep in mind that Linux has about 700 paid developers (employed by various companies).

Comment

I'm personally really glad to see development continuing on the Hurd. It seems like the two biggest disadvantages it had were complexity and performance overhead. I'm interested to see if the adoption of multi-cored processors would mitigate the second disadvantage, if it can be easily parallelized. Microkernels offer some really awesome potential benefits, so it's good that the technology is at least being played with.

Comment

Only 700? Given enough eyeballs all bugs are shallow. The kernel is now well over 15 million LOC. There are not enough eyeballs. The kernel will go to shit if they don't seriously increase the manpower.
                  Feel free to hire a few developers and pay them.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                    I'm personally really glad to see development continuing on the Hurd. It seems like the two biggest disadvantages it had were complexity and performance overhead. I'm interested to see if the adoption of multi-cored processors would mitigate the second disadvantage, if it can be easily parallelized. Microkernels offer some really awesome potential benefits, so it's good that the technology is at least being played with.
                    To my knowledge Windows is already half-microkernel half monolithic kernel.

According to bits of information scattered around the MSDN website, since Windows 7 most of the drivers have been moved to userspace already. Even the graphics driver for Windows now is half userspace half kernelspace. Perhaps it is no coincidence that this was the reason Windows 7 and Windows 8 suddenly became so stable (my speculation only).

Comment

Hmm you basically said that Microsoft might not be full of idiots. Prepare for heavy trolling and how linux kernel is so much better than the Universe itself.
                      My views on Microsoft and their software are already open knowledge in Phoronix, so I'll leave it as that.

Comment

Working...
                      X