The Most Comprehensive AMD Radeon Linux Graphics Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azmo View Post
    If requiring a membership to for example see the conclusion or whatever parts one want to hide, perhaps more people will subscribe to see the missing parts ?
    Oooh, evil, I like it...

Might make non-subscribers not bother though, and the real issue seems to be non-subscribers who use adblock rather than all of them.

Seriously though, if adblock is such an issue, surely there are methods to detect if it's being used and deny access to the main content if detected?
    I use adblock (well, privoxy, same effect though) and wouldn't have a problem with that (probably wouldn't bother with phoronix anymore rather than disable ad blocking, but that would be of no loss to Michael anyways).

Comment

Thank You Michael for your work. While others might bash you, I, for one, appreciate that you are one of the few sites that are dedicated 100% to linux reviews. The article was informative. I agree, next time, perhaps a conclusion would be useful.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
        probably wouldn't bother with phoronix anymore rather than disable ad blocking
        That's the point: the vast majority of the peoples here will NEVER disable adblock while there are flash and tracking ads.
        Lots of peoples would buy premium instead if it wasn't broken, I will never understand why Michael isn't going to fix it...
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

What do you think is broken about premium ? Every article on the main page gets a forum link when it gets posted (at least that's what I've always seen) so I find it a lot more convenient to go in through the forum URL anyways. I understand the auto-login doesn't work if you go straight to phoronix.com but I found it easier to go through the forums even before premium subscription was introduced.

Or maybe I'm just lazy... I would rather have the CMS tell me what articles I haven't seen than have to figure it out myself

I was just thinking... what the forum really needs is some kind of big red warning that comes up if one accidentally posts something related to the title of the thread... WARNING, ON TOPIC POST, THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE OUT !!!
          Last edited by bridgman; 19 September 2011, 06:16 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            2) Unigine Heaven, Unigine Tropics, and Unigine Sanctuary work correctly and beautifully with floating-point and S3TC textures with Mesa on both r300g and r600g.
            I agree and can confirm that on r600g. It may not run so fast with high fps, but graphically looks amazing and there is no artefacts:

Comment

Correct...
              Test signature

Comment

Doesn't the lack of a conclusion punish normal users more than those using adblock? Both have to click through all pages to draw their own conclusions, but those using adblock probably won't be as annoyed by that as those getting the full ad load.

How about making the site more enjoyable to read instead of ranting at your readership? Get a writer or at least proofreader to straighten out the style. Make article urls contain the article title, then the intra-site links at least show where they go. Put proper links to relevant sites first in the articles, instead of hiding them between a dozen self-referential links. Anandtech, lwn.net (and computerbase.de for their diagrams) could serve as examples for what to strive for.

"Phoronix - Michael's blog about Linux and 3D and benchmarking and beer and stuff" doesn't seem a very attractive site to subscribe to. Get yourself a personal blog, push the beer and stuff there, and make Phoronix a "Linux hardware review site".

Comment

On topic? Screw that. There is a certain beauty about the ways in which people bridge the gap between the article subject and the meme they want to pimp.

Comment

Kinda relevant to the off-topic adblock discussion in this thread, just came across this response to a link to a phoronix article in the SPCR forums;
                    Originally posted by www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62795
                    Save yourself the fcing annoying Phoronix layer ads, and nine ad filled pages. (They really need to get their content-to-ad ratio above one.)
                    Seriously, just how bad are the ads on phoronix (not just the recent HP one)?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      i'm the only one with zero ad problems and no adblock in use ?
                      No, you're not alone.

I use privoxy instead.

Comment

Working...
                      X