Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features You Should Be Able To Find In C++14

Phoronix: Features You Should Be Able To Find In C++14

The ISO C++ committee has reached the point of possibly having the final draft of C++14 as a minor update to the widely-used programming language. For those curious about the likely changes to find with C++14, here's an article to checkout...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no usable solution on unicode strings.

Comment

Get rid of header files

First thing they shoud do, is get rid of header and lib files (soooo '70 hippie style), ane move to something sane, like AT LEAST package / .JAR files in java. Actually no, it is already too late. Vast majority of developers followed Android and Java away from C. C/C++ is now language for kernel, and system things sitting next to kernel. And for enthusiasts. World moved on in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
        First thing they shoud do, is get rid of header and lib files (soooo '70 hippie style), ane move to something sane, like AT LEAST package / .JAR files in java. Actually no, it is already too late. Vast majority of developers followed Android and Java away from C. C/C++ is now language for kernel, and system things sitting next to kernel. And for enthusiasts. World moved on in the meantime.
        Read the blogpost before you comment. Modules were tried to get ready for C++14 but they didn't make the deadline. They've been pushed back to C++17, which the developers think is more than enough time.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Code:
          #include <iostream>
          #include <string>

int main() {
            std::string str { u8"Unicode characters: ◧ ◬ ☎ ♾ ⚠ ☔\n" };
            std::cout << str << std::endl;
          }
          Compile with -std=c++11 or -std=c++14.

What is the problem?

Uh, who the hell writes and uses Java based applications anywhere but on Android? Besides Eclipse and Netbeans, meant for Java development, and even those usually look like ass and both attempt to use native toolkit themeing to look less bad. The enterprise has always used Java since it came out, that is what it was designed for and why it is such a bloated mess.

GTK is C, Qt is C++. And even then I'll write most applications in either python or qml/js and just use language bindings unless I need native performance.

But Java isn't native. At all. It has terrible memory overhead and 2 - 3x slowdown over binaries, which in many circumstances is unacceptable. I much prefer writing everything in python and putting my critical sections in C++ than to use one of the interpreted static typing languages.
          Last edited by zanny; 24 March 2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            Code:
            #include <iostream>
            #include <string>

int main() {
              std::string str { u8"Unicode characters: ◧ ◬ ☎ ♾ ⚠ ☔\n" };
              std::cout << str << std::endl;
            }
            Compile with -std=c++11 or -std=c++14.

What is the problem?
            Your example has nothing to do with what I said.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17103925/how-well-is-unicode-supported-in-c11
            http://cppwhispers.blogspot.com/2012/11/unicode-and-your-application-3-of-n.html

Comment

Your example has nothing to do with what I said.

I've read and heard that C++11 supports Unicode. A few questions on that: How well does the C++ standard library support Unicode? Does std::string do what it should? How do I use it? Where are

http://cppwhispers.blogspot.com/2012...on-3-of-n.html
              He is complaining about Windows, and apparently doesn't know u16string and u32string (aka basic_string<char16_t> and basic_string<char32_t>).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Read the blogpost before you comment. Modules were tried to get ready for C++14 but they didn't make the deadline. They've been pushed back to C++17, which the developers think is more than enough time.
                Modules are not going to make header files to go away. Unlike Java the C compiler can not read the declarations from the binary (that would require a portable binary standard) or the implementation files.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                  Modules are not going to make header files to go away. Unlike Java the C compiler can not read the declarations from the binary (that would require a portable binary standard) or the implementation files.
                  Oh I know, but THAT is a whole separate issue all together than simply "bringing modules to C++"
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Does anybody have a usable solution? Unicode was one of those designed by committee things that will always be a struggle to implement and more importantly put into use.

Comment

Working...
                    X