AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Then I'm confused... according to this: http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...00-series.aspx
    HD3xxx series *does* have UVD. RHD-2xxx even.

Or is it just fake-UVD ala shaders (aka the gallium3d plan)?
    If it is just fake-UVD, then why the distinction between R3100 (780V chipset) and RHD3200 (780G chipset)? 3100 just not strong enough? Or is it a question of being disabled in the drivers?
    I don't understand your question. I'm talking about the R600 (aka HD2900) but you linked to the HD3000 Series page (ie different chips).

The R600 did not have UVD. The RV610/HD2400, RV630/HD2600, RV620/HD34xx, RV635/HD36xx and RV670/HD38xx all had the UVD1 block. 780G and RV7xx parts have UVD2-family decoder blocks.

The primary difference between 780G and 780V is that the 780G has UVD while the 780V does not -- the 780V is aimed at business systems where efficient video playback is a drawback, not a benefit
    Last edited by bridgman; 03 November 2009, 04:56 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

@gbeauche

It does not interest me how it is implemented as long as it works. I tested that dm=0 override, it really helped on nvidia, then tested it with my HD 4550 card and guess what, full system crash. Also it is not really acceptable that only you can use OSD, that has to work for everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I don't understand your question. I'm talking about the R600 (aka HD2900) but you linked to the HD3000 Series page (ie different chips).
        I think he was the same way confused, as I was.

I often use r600 as a placeholder for all r6xx chips. So I was thinking of the whole family of chips when you spoke about r600, not that chip specially.

So there is only the question if UVD will also be supported by XvBA.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
          I think he was the same way confused, as I was.

I often use r600 as a placeholder for all r6xx chips. So I was thinking of the whole family of chips when you spoke about r600, not that chip specially.

So there is only the question if UVD will also be supported by XvBA.
          You would get an answer by trying yourself. If it works, that'd be a good thing for you, but if it doesn't, don't bug anyone since only UVD2 is said to be supported. Simply install the packages and run `vainfo'. If it doesn't report anything, sorry, no luck.

Comment

vainfo

shows the same output on r600, tested with a HD 3450 card. Just mplayer crashes everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
              You would get an answer by trying yourself. If it works, that'd be a good thing for you, but if it doesn't, don't bug anyone since only UVD2 is said to be supported. Simply install the packages and run `vainfo'. If it doesn't report anything, sorry, no luck.
              That's a test for now. I think somethink like:

libXvBA checks for UVD2 -> UVD2 not detected -> acceleration disabled

something that could be changed in later versions.

But for now I have to get my gentoo to be aware of va-api.
              Last edited by PuckPoltergeist; 03 November 2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                vainfo

shows the same output on r600, tested with a HD 3450 card. Just mplayer crashes everytime.
                Interesting. What about a hwdecode-demos' vaapi_h264 --glx? (double dash)
                splitted-desktop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, splitted-desktop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

You could probably gdb + "bt" that one and check where it approximately crashes? You won't get much debuginfo though.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
                  But for now I have to get my gentoo to be aware of va-api.
                  Seems that this get a little more complicated than I thought:
                  make all-recursive
                  make[1]: Entering directory `/home/puck/Develop/video/libva-0.31.0'
                  Making all in src
                  make[2]: Entering directory `/home/puck/Develop/video/libva-0.31.0/src'
                  Making all in x11
                  make[3]: Entering directory `/home/puck/Develop/video/libva-0.31.0/src/x11'
                  /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -DLINUX -DIN_LIBVA -I../../src -I/usr/include/drm -g -O2 -MT va_x11.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/va_x11.Tpo -c -o va_x11.lo va_x11.c
                  ../../libtool: line 827: X--tag=CC: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 860: libtool: ignoring unknown tag : command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 827: X--mode=compile: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 994: *** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 995: *** Future versions of Libtool will require --mode=MODE be specified.: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: Xgcc: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-DHAVE_CONFIG_H: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-I.: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-I../..: No such file or directory
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-DLINUX: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-DIN_LIBVA: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-I../../src: No such file or directory
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-I/usr/include/drm: No such file or directory
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-g: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-O2: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-MT: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: Xva_x11.lo: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-MD: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-MP: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-MF: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X.deps/va_x11.Tpo: No such file or directory
                  ../../libtool: line 1138: X-c: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1191: Xva_x11.lo: command not found
                  ../../libtool: line 1196: libtool: compile: cannot determine name of library object from `': command not found
                  make[3]: *** [va_x11.lo] Error 1
                  make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/puck/Develop/video/libva-0.31.0/src/x11'
                  make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
                  make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/puck/Develop/video/libva-0.31.0/src'
                  make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
                  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/puck/Develop/video/libva-0.31.0'
                  make: *** [all] Error 2

Comment

@gbeauche

I do not like to install patched ffmpeg globally and it does not seem to contain a script that fetches the needed parts from svn. Maybe next week with a test hd.

Comment

Meh. I'd prefer worthwhile hardware accel of regular DVDs, non-next-gen codecs (plain ol' mpeg, avi, etc.), and Flash.

Neither AMD's Catalyst nor git checkouts of the open-source driver stack can deliver tear- and stutter-free playback of even these simple video formats. Especially not fullscreen.

I've never used H.264 or VC-1, and I can't imagine I ever will. But I do use the other formats daily -- that's where I'd like to see some improvement. I hope this limited XvBA release is a step in that direction.

Comment

Working...
                      X