No announcement yet.

VirtualBox 4.0 Beta 1 Brings Major Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well USB 2.0 is not in OSE, but USB 1.1 works. So you can print directly which is the most usefull case when you want to use vendor provided tools for cd printing or so. The addon feature is basically great to give OSE users the full functionally of the PUEL versions before. I would usually prefer to use the official repository but that way the OSE is not as crippled as before. I am a bit sad about the EFI support. It's seems it is only tested with OSX, that's absolutely great... I would like to have got sandbox for EFI testing because with >2TB hds you have to boot from EFI without an extra boot hd. Let's see what happens before, getting a board with proper EFI support or VBox with full UEFI.

Comment

Well, if it comes to it I'm sure there are some devs willing to work on open source counterparts to Oracles "packages".

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
        Fortunately Virtualbox has at least one perfectly competent fully open-source replacement whose development has been charging full speed ahead for longer than Virtualbox has been around.
        Bochs? Since Virtualbox release it has lost a great deal of attention, as VirtualBox is a fork of Bochs. I wonder if all the great things and improvement Virtualbox have received over Bochs have been merged back? It could be a great time to merge back if not. I'd also love to have the Virtualbox GUI with Bochs.

Comment

Hello, I am just curious.. can you tell me what open source projects Oracle abandoned when they acquired Sun? I know about openOffice.. is there anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by kapcom01 View Post
            Hello, I am just curious.. can you tell me what open source projects Oracle abandoned when they acquired Sun? I know about openOffice.. is there anything else?
            Abandoned is a strong word. It's more like which OSS projects has Oracle had difficulty in maintaining the community whilst adapting Sun's projects to what is part of their corporate direction.

It's like getting a new boss, or moving into a new neighborhood. There are always changes and adaptations - some good, some bad, some popular, some not...

Comment

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
              Abandoned is a strong word.
              Yes, you are right.. Its because of my english... I didnt use the right word.

So are there any other Sun's OSS projects like OpenOffice that got forked to libreOffice?

Comment

To a commentor above: Apple motherboards have a BIOS and not an EFI startup program. The BIOS in Macs, however, presents itself as EFI. Source: Hackingtosh/OSX86 documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
                  As far as I know, none of these things were ever a part of virtualbox-ose.

In addition, the target market for VirtualBox is server virtualization and Oracle does not have any interest in doing business with home users, but does benefit from having them be testers. It would not make much sense for Oracle to begin charging home users for closed source components that they currently give away for free, so as you said, I do not see what the problem here is.
                  Most typical home users would be Linux users wanting to host Windows inside a VM to run basic Windows apps without needing Wine or even for testing Linux distros

Some developers might want the full package for doing server testing/development at home

Comment

Originally posted by kapcom01 View Post
                    Yes, you are right.. Its because of my english... I didnt use the right word.

So are there any other Sun's OSS projects like OpenOffice that got forked to libreOffice?
                    OpenSolaris would be another big one.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                      vbox is GPL2. Fork it if you're so scared.
                      you can fork it, but you can't relicense it, so what's the point in forking it?

Comment

Working...
                      X