Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Server 1.8 Release Candidate Is Here

Phoronix: X Server 1.8 Release Candidate Is Here

Keith Packard has just made available the first release candidate of X Server 1.8 and confirms that its release schedule is still on track. Snapshots and the Git code for X Server 1.8 go back to last year, but with a planned release by the end of March, Keith has now started working on release candidates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just use Ubuntu, so I never have any problems with AMD drivers not supporting newer stuff. However, it would be nice if AMD provided some preliminary support for new kernels and X server releases. If only to make sure half of the trolling on these forums about their drivers would be something from the past .

Comment

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
      I just use Ubuntu, so I never have any problems with AMD drivers not supporting newer stuff.
      I just use Windows 7. It works like a charm. Those trolls here claiming Catalyst doesn't support this and that are getting on my nerves.

Comment

but it will be many months before AMD is likely to support this updated X Server in their Catalyst Linux driver (they still lack support for X Server 1.7).
        What is it you don't understand about the SUPPORTED distributions in the Catalyst Install Instructions?

Code:
        Operating Systems Distributions Supported

The latest version of the ATI Proprietary Linux driver is designed to support the
                following Linux distributions:
                ? Red Hat Enterprise Linux suite
                ? Novell/SuSE product suite
                ? Ubuntu
        Why do you always bash AMD/ATi?

I think you should have a big banner on the frontpage:

Code:
        Fanboy of Intel, nVidia and Ubuntu
        Code:
        Supporter of closed source nVidia drivers over open source AMD drivers

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
          I thought I was paranoid..

Comment

Does anybody know if there is going to be a PPA package of this for Ubuntu? I tried to make one, but it would need so many other dependencies that I was afraid of screwing up my system.

Comment

Because they are always late by a couple of months with supporting new software in comparison to Nvidia. Why can Nvidia provide drivers working with the latest kernel and X server while ATI can't do that?

Comment

Because Nvidia had a headstart of several years before Ati really started working on OpenGL (first) and their Linux drivers (later).

Then again, AMD now provides open-source drivers that support the latest kernel and X-Server before it is even released. So yeah.

Comment

What is it you don't understand about the SUPPORTED distributions in the Catalyst Install Instructions?

Code:
                  Operating Systems Distributions Supported

The latest version of the ATI Proprietary Linux driver is designed to support the
                          following Linux distributions:
                          ? Red Hat Enterprise Linux suite
                          ? Novell/SuSE product suite
                          ? Ubuntu
                  There's no need to defend the indefensible. Really, leave that to bridgman, he gets payed for that. Linux Catalyst is a joke and deserves to be mocked. Yes there's work in progress on an oss driver, but these are two separate things. Really, it's okay to appreciate the work going on on the oss driver and bash the Linux Catalyst joke at the same time.

Comment

Because their crappy binary driver forces me to think that they deserve it.

I think you should have a big banner on the frontpage:

Code:
                    Fanboy of Intel, nVidia and Ubuntu
                    Code:
                    Supporter of working and closed source nVidia drivers over bloated and unstable binary AMD drivers (and open source AMD drivers which are not ready for R500+)
                    Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X