AMD 8.36.5 Driver -- The Still no fglrx AIGLX Support Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    not really. but it would give developers more time to improve the driver.

i hate 8.36 driver for being released in half-finished state (well, at least i have that impression) just because there has to be 1 release per month.

i'd rather have ati release new driver with each development `milestone`, so to speak - that means after something new is introduced AND completely implemented.

or when new kernel/x.org comes out to sort out the compatibility issues.
    More time this month really doesn't give more time to the engineers for development. The 8.37 driver has been out of development stage for a month now.

This will all be covered in the upcoming development cycle article.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

More time this month really doesn't give more time to the engineers for development.
      but it usually allows developers to code something that takes more than, say 2 or 3 weeks of development without leaving it unfinished in the driver.
      that could be resolved by using a second development branch, but i doubt that the shortage of ati linux driver developers permits that.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
        but it usually allows developers to code something that takes more than, say 2 or 3 weeks of development without leaving it unfinished in the driver.
        that could be resolved by using a second development branch, but i doubt that the shortage of ati linux driver developers permits that.

You'll see when the article come out, it's not exactly like that.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Well, it looks like this month's driver may be a late bloomer...
          Looking forward to your article; I think a lot of people don't understand what's involved in the development cycle for any software product for medium to large scale companies, or how different it is from the way things are in their own worlds...

Heard anything more on the open-sourcing of the driver code or no? At this point, that's the highest thing on my list (read: at this point, I just want to fix the thing and go on about my merry way).

If it's not something that's going to be happening soon, do you know if they have a "developer program", public beta, etc.? I didn't see anything either way on the ATI web site regarding public betas (though I may well have been looking in the wrong place).

- Larry

Comment

Originally posted by time2IPL View Post
            Heard anything more on the open-sourcing of the driver code or no? At this point, that's the highest thing on my list (read: at this point, I just want to fix the thing and go on about my merry way).
            Hope to have an article on that soon... ideally.

AMD maintains a closed beta program -- I do share some details about that in the development article.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Addendum to last - uh, that means that, in all likelihood, unless Fedora 7 slips - or the project decides to switch X servers at the last minute - no R500 or R600 card will work with anything but the VESA driver w F7, right?

Does anyone know for certain that the only problem / incompatibility between the current driver(s) and the Fedora 7 Xorg server is the version string?

- Larry

Comment

Originally posted by time2IPL View Post
                Does anyone know for certain that the only problem / incompatibility between the current driver(s) and the Fedora 7 Xorg server is the version string?
                There might be some issues with F7 x86_64 and fglrx, as when working on the packaging scripts I ran into a few crashes, but last I tried recently with F7 and 32-bit it had worked.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

There are already release candidates for the 8.38 driver for windows... too bad no one leaks linux drivers

8.37 is coming later today (in 4 hours) or tomorrow (in 28 hours).

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    8.37 is coming later today (in 4 hours) or tomorrow (in 28 hours).
                    Who says that?
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

It normaly ever comes on wednesday or thursday, and it ever comes at this time and they most likely don't release a driver on the 30th or 31th.

Comment

Working...
                      X