Btrfs Won't Likely Replace EXT4 As The Default Until Fedora 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
    Do you have any sources to support those claims?
    As usual, there are some confusions here, wayland does not require systemd, nor requires Linux specific features, as it is just a protocol.
    On the other hand, Weston, the reference implementation, does require KMS, DRI3, mesa, libinput, etc.. Weston is not really meant to be portable outside Linux (see here).
    But nothing prevents other OSes and platforms from implementing wayland in one or several compositors, or port what they can from weston.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
      Quite nice. Sadly by default Arch kernel wont boot my disk so initramfs is still needed.
      Wait... you mean it's possible to configure a system without an initramfs? Is this an Arch-only concept, or does it apply to other distros, too? (I'm using Kubuntu now.)

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
        Wait... you mean it's possible to configure a system without an initramfs? Is this an Arch-only concept, or does it apply to other distros, too? (I'm using Kubuntu now.)
        This is possible on any distro, with limitations, for example with / on an encrypted partition. For usual setups that is pretty easy, just compile the needed drivers for filesystem and storage controller into the kernel (not as modules). I haven't used an initrd for years on my systems.

Comment

initramfs is needed if you want to load drivers etc before the main system boots. If you don't need such a thing then you can live without intramfs.

Comment

The most important and inevitable thing is BTRFS will eventually replace EXT4FS in all distros.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
              Wayland does not depend on systemd or any other init system. If one of the compositors makes use of systemd is entirely up the developers. The Weston developers chose to use it, quite sad for a reference implementation of a system that wants to replace X, which is also used on platforms where systemd is not available.
              guess what ? nobody cares about those platforms

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                Hi guys.
                I'm building a new desktop pc. It's gonna have 1 msata ssd where I'm gonna install the system and 2 hdds 4TB each one which I'm gonna use for /home and backup. I was thinking to use XFS for al 3 disks. What do you propose?
                use 4 hdds 2tb each in raid0 mode - it will be two times faster.

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                  I'm not sure it's possible to get a machine without UEFI firmware these days.
                  it is trivial.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    Hi guys.
                    I'm building a new desktop pc. It's gonna have 1 msata ssd where I'm gonna install the system and 2 hdds 4TB each one which I'm gonna use for /home and backup. I was thinking to use XFS for al 3 disks. What do you propose?
                    I suggest having the 2 hard drives in raid 1 (mirroring) for your personel documents/videos/pictures. For added safety.

Also, consider using btrfs, it uses allot less ram compared to xfs.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                      I suggest having the 2 hard drives in raid 1 (mirroring) for your personel documents/videos/pictures. For added safety.

Also, consider using btrfs, it uses allot less ram compared to xfs.
                      Thanks for the advice mate. I answered here.

Comment

Working...
                      X