Wayland Support Merged Into XBMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    Without trying to start an argument, XMBC or more or less obsolete, especially with the coming of Steam OS/Steam Box.
    Hmm, last time I checked I wasn't able to watch films, listen to music, check weather or download something through Steam...

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
      Hmm, last time I checked I wasn't able to watch films, listen to music, check weather or download something through Steam...
      True. Valve said on their annoucment page that they'll have media support probably for Netflix, Hulu. Would be cool if we could access a local or network storage for movies. We will soon find out.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        The uncool thing is that major apps (ie FF) aren't doing things fast enough.
        Patches welcome

Comment

another nail in the Mir coffin ohh wait didn't Mir crashed into the south pacific ocean???

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Cool too see Sam Spilsbury do some Wayland-related work.
            Wonder what made him jump ship at Canonical....

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
              Wonder what made him jump ship at Canonical....
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                Steam OS will just be Steam Big Picture, which is already available. Yet XBMC lives on. And unless you all of a sudden can watch films via Steam, I don't even get what you're basing your ideas on.
                You can watch films via steam, at least one film - Indie game the movie is distributed via steam. That said XBMC is so much more.

BTW - I've no idea how good Mir is, it might be the best piece of tech in the world, but news like this make me regret that Ubuntu abandoned Wayland, simply a wide adoption across different projects is important...

Comment

Originally posted by sacridex View Post
                  How long will it take for it to land in Raspbmc?
                  It probably won't, Raspbmc renders XBMC using the framebuffer instead of Xorg so it's already quite light on resources, I doubt there would be much that Wayland could improve on that in terms of performance.

That said, this does make Wayland more attractive on other Raspberry Pi distros as a potential windowing system since it's lighter than X11 and is accelerated on the Pi.

Comment

Something missed to highlight is that it's important to add that this is only initial support of Wayland into XBMC to get them started on using it all.

So it not yet a fully featured production ready feature in XBMC just by adding this initial patch, see the full description of the patch by smspillaz

http://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2978
                    Implemented initial support for display and input on wayland compositors

The following items are not implemented yet:
                    • Dirty regions (requires core work to support EGL_EXT_buffer_age)
                    That is, among other things that are not yet ready yet is specifically the Dirty Regions / Dirty Texture feature mentioned by others here.

That means that XBMC rendering will indeed not yet be close to efficient on Wayland until Dirty Regions / Dirty Texture support is also added later.

It is at least a very good start, and other developers will begin to assist on this too now that Wayland support is in upstream in XBMC mainline

Comment

Something missed to highlight is that it's important to add that this is only initial support of Wayland into XBMC to get them started on using it all.

So it not yet a fully featured production ready feature in XBMC just by adding this initial patch, see the full description of the patch by smspillaz

Implemented initial support for display and input on wayland compositors

The following items are not implemented yet:
                      • Dirty regions (requires core work to support EGL_EXT_buffer_age)
                      That is, among other things that are not yet ready yet is specifically the Dirty Regions / Dirty Texture feature mentioned by others here.

That means that XBMC rendering will indeed not yet be close to efficient on Wayland until Dirty Regions / Dirty Texture support is also added later.

It is at least a very good start, and other developers will begin to assist on this too now that Wayland support is in upstream in XBMC mainline

Comment

Working...
                      X