No announcement yet.

Canonical To Develop Some Ubuntu Features In Private

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android apps on Ubuntu will certainly make sense for tablets, to make U there a better proposition for Joe Public, but for desktops I don't see a point.

There are no useful mobile "apps". So you want fart/flashlight apps for your desktop?

Then there's the small fact that statistically every "app" has one or more of

a) ads
    b) malware
    c) steals your data on purpose

Yay! We obviously want that on our desktops!

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Android apps on Ubuntu will certainly make sense for tablets, to make U there a better proposition for Joe Public, but for desktops I don't see a point.

There are no useful mobile "apps". So you want fart/flashlight apps for your desktop?

Then there's the small fact that statistically every "app" has one or more of

a) ads
      b) malware
      c) steals your data on purpose

Yay! We obviously want that on our desktops!
      Well I certainly want Netflix. Many people would appreciate the AutoCAD version even if not the full desktop version. Obviously we don't need flashlight or fart apps, but android has some pretty interesting apps that would be a great addition to the ubuntu platform. I believe MS said that some sort of Office is coming to android, so think about that.

Comment

And which of the three tickboxes does Netflix fill? All three perhaps?

Crippled mobile MS Office will certainly beat a native LibreOffice or the full MS Office in Wine. Not.

Office is a bad example, because that's emulation either way, so you're only picking between the full version and a crippled, touch-enabled version.

Comment

If you are that kind of zealot you should be pretty happy running those distros you have to compile everything for yourself and verifying every line of code for potential info stealing malware. I don't think you might be the target user of ubuntu though...

Comment

I love how Ubuntu is becoming so popular now so that the hardcore crowd now needs to distance themselves quickly. BSD is waiting for you.

Meanwhile my university is in the process of switching all their systems to Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Malizor View Post
              The title is misleading.
              It should rather be "Canonical to involve community in its projects".

"Private feature-developpement" is really not new or even specific to Ubuntu/Canonical. Most developers do this (you work on something privately and you advertise it when you think it is ready).

They probably learned from the Unity shopping lens fiasco that early community input can be actually good (in this case they could have avoided unnecessary FUD by dealing with privacy concerns before landing the feature).
              So this is definitely a step in the good direction.
              In a thread full to the brim with FUD this is the one post that actually gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
                If you are that kind of zealot you should be pretty happy running those distros you have to compile everything for yourself and verifying every line of code for potential info stealing malware. I don't think you might be the target user of ubuntu though...
                Enjoy getting false loans in your name, and the many other nice things that come from Android malware.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
                  If someone in canonical has half a brain, they are working in making android apps run in ubuntu.
                  Canonical announced that 3.5 years ago: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/...run-on-ubuntu/
                  As with most of Canonical's stuff: Big words, little substance.

Comment

Originally posted by Malizor View Post
                    The title is misleading.
                    It should rather be "Canonical to involve community in its projects".

"Private feature-developpement" is really not new or even specific to Ubuntu/Canonical. Most developers do this (you work on something privately and you advertise it when you think it is ready).
                    I'm sorry but you're wrong. Actually most successful FOSS projects are developed in an openly accessible repo, even though they are not advertised, yet. Even in case of Ubuntu you can usually browse on launchpad.net and find such projects ? or at least you could.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      Canonical announced that 3.5 years ago: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/...run-on-ubuntu/
                      As with most of Canonical's stuff: Big words, little substance.
                      Well, i hope this is one of those things not being openly developed according to the OP.

Comment

Working...
                      X