No announcement yet.

NVIDIA (Optimus) PRIME Update Lands In Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, but what is the advantage over Bumblebee? I have been using that totally hassle free for years now with many games and with the prime-bridge it got even better and slightly faster (not that it was noticably slow before).

Comment

I don't even understand why Nvidia Optimus gets all this attention and there's never even a mention of AMD's (far superior and better supported) PowerXpress. Also, somehow Nvidia was able to convince people that they invented this technology, when in fact AMD beat them to it years ahead of time? Usually with an AMD or Nvidia article I see a jab thrown at AMD if Nvidia has a 1-up on them on something, but rarely (if ever) in reverse, and there's certainly more chances to jab at Nvidia than there are AMD.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy with an improvement to anything for users of Linux, this is more directed at the journalism.

Comment

Yet another distro specific solution

I really hope Nvidia is working on Optimus support as a packaged solution into their official driver.
        I'm not using Ubuntu, and I don't want to be dependent on a specific distribution to finally have the proper support for the hardware I bought 2 years ago.

Comment

Anyone know how I can get this for Ubuntu 13.10? Will there be a backport soon or in a ppa like ubuntu x-swats? I really don't want to risk installing a alpha ubuntu release on my work machine..... but I absolutly WANT the optimus support this moment, so DOTA, tf2, and l4d2 stop crashing while using bumbleebee....

Comment

well

if is proven to work well i back to ubuntu, i?m tired about bumblebee crashs in dota 2, and this is a good solution for X distro

Comment

well

its work fine, better fps, good render, and finally i can use nvidia in virtualmachines. good job, i realy hate dynamic graphics

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                its work fine, better fps, good render, and finally i can use nvidia in virtualmachines. good job, i realy hate dynamic graphics
                That is great to hear. I can't wait til I can upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
                  "... I don't even understand why Nvidia Optimus gets all this attention and there's never even a mention of AMD's (far superior and better supported) PowerXpress..."
                  what? AMD have some kind of support into muxless cards but they are far a bug than a real suport.
                  Most of us still have our card A+I or A+A blacklisted such a way same using bumblebee or another kind of hack we cant try it out.
                  ITs not a matter of work or not but we cant even load our driver using catalyst.

The open source side AM cards are nice but the closed source is a mess and a disrespect.

Comment

Working...
                  X