Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsow Update Delivers New Maps & More

Phoronix: Warsow Update Delivers New Maps & More

While most open-source games still lack the graphics quality and features that the latest proprietary game engines support within retail games that are backed by the large studios, their quality has been improving as with their artwork and other characteristics. As an example of this, Warsow 0.5 made it out this week with a horde of new features and improvements.Warsow 0.5 introduces new settings for weapons, armor, and its movement system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's pretty cool and looks great now with the extra filters on :P

Comment

I had fun playing it yesterday, but in the end, I'll stick with Quake Live and Nexuiz. Each to their own I guess.

Comment

Blah. Seems no one is making any other games for Linux than Tux racers and first-person shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Blah. Seems no one is making any other games for Linux than Tux racers and first-person shooters.
          Come on now this isn't really
          fair with all the fun games made for linux. And those are all games where the source is available, there are also some very nice commercial linux games.

What I personally miss from FOSS games is good storytelling, be it in shooters, strategy or role playing games. But then I can't fault those working for free on OSS projects to make the games they a) like themselves and b) have the necessary skills for, can I? If someone likes FPSs and knows how to make one, then why should they make some game they don't want to play themselves?

If you wan't something else then either pay for it, make it yourself or find other people interested in such a game and motivate them to develop one.

Comment

Originally posted by dscharrer View Post
            What I personally miss from FOSS games is good storytelling, be it in shooters, strategy or role playing games.
            Amen to that. It's not that the talent isn't out there. The creative content guru's just need opensource projects to provide good tools to do so. Take a look at some of the mods and community expansion packs out there for commercial games (games like NWN pop to mind immediately).

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              That may be true, but even if it's 1,000 Linux first-person shooters, Warsow and Nexuiz are still the best, so no point in pooping on them just because their genre is overpopulated.

Comment

Playing it from time to time since the early beta, this game is still really cool.
                The best part about it, it's even faster than the good old Q3. Yea, I really love racing and shooters without bunny hopping are no real competition. :P

Comment

Even if there appear to be "many" first-person shooters for Linux every single one of them offers different gameplay if you dive deep enough into it.

I'd love to see something with a nice storyline, but it's very hard to do with a distributed team. Even now (10 years later) I'd be blown away if the open-source community could create something similiar in quality to e.g. Half-Life (yes, I even mean with dated 1999 graphics if only the story is nice).

For a nice read on how useful it is to have the whole development team actually interact person-to-person look at http://www.gamespot.com/features/makeunreal/index.html (apparently Unreal only took off once they brought all developers together in one place).

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                    That may be true, but even if it's 1,000 Linux first-person shooters, Warsow and Nexuiz are still the best, so no point in pooping on them just because their genre is overpopulated.
                    I'd say Padman and Alien Arena give them a good run for the money.

Comment

Working...
                    X