No announcement yet.

A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish you lots of fun on your trip to Seattle from April, 23rd until April, 27th, Michael. Surely you will be excited by the Seattle Asian Art Museum you're coming for

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      I wish you lots of fun on your trip to Seattle from April, 23rd until April, 27th, Michael. Surely you will be excited by the Seattle Asian Art Museum you're coming for
      Was ist das? Ich gehe f?r Alkoholfrei Bier Museum!!
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• This thread is so odd, with demands of public news from Valve, and Mac hate.

Comment

• There's a few good reasons why Valve would have interest in Linux.

They're probably not fans of the new consoles. The new consoles are basically PCs but with app stores. Those app stores are probably going to kill Steam, or at least attempt too. Microsoft will have games for the next generation Xbox that'll also be playable on PCs and tablets. Sony will stick with X86 to retain that compatibility, while Microsoft will probably go ARM.

Now imagine yourself as Valve who has built this huge service called Steam. What Microsoft and Sony is doing is taking away this business from Valve. This is where the rumors of the Steam console comes in. Whatever the hardware they decide to use, they'll have to contend with an OS first.

#1 They could use Windows and load up a Steam UI to take over. Though this will risk having users bypass this to download games off Microsoft's app store.
          #2 Working with Apple to create this Steam machine might work, but Apple wouldn't want to work with them. In fact, they'll want their games on their app store and forget about Steam.
          #3 Create a working version of Steam for Linux and try working around a lot of the existing graphical issues that exist. Most likely resulting in the creation of the Steam app, and possibly the Steam distro.

Valve feels threaten by Microsoft and Sony as they want to take a piece of the pie.
          Last edited by Dukenukemx; 02 April 2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            They're probably not fans of the new consoles. The new consoles are basically PCs but with app stores.
            Yea, the playstation 4 is going to be x86 based.. So Sony is going to be selling PCs with a bit of hardware DRM / TPM mixed in along with their own proprietary OS and Sony App store. The playstation 4 is going to be sold at a much cheaper price than what it costs Sony to manuf. the hardware so you'd get much more hardware for your dollar buying a PS4 than a regular PC. Sony plans to make up the difference by charging $60 for games + $15 for each DLC pack for the game, and in some cases there are half a dozen or more DLC packs... All of which will be dowloaded. The days of consoles are over. Of course, it looks like Sony will keep the platform locked down so you can only run Sony software.

The PS4 CPU & GPU are being made by AMD.
            Last edited by Sidicas; 02 April 2012, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
              "Was ist das? Ich gehe in dass Museum f?r alkoholfreies Bier!! "

"alkoholfreies" is not a noun it describes how something is

"Bier" is the noun because of this you write Bier big and alkoholfreies with a tiny letter.

also in german you have to pin your supject "in DASS" means the target is bier museum.

also you have to specify your target museum is the general target but "F?R" is the specify pin means its a museum for the alcohol free beer.

and yes die Deutsche Sprache ist eine schwere Sprache! (German language is a hard language)
              Danke.

Schei?e.... Haven't been practicing German Rosetta Stone learning in a few months / need new Bavarian Frau to finish learning proper German
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• @Qaridarium: if you try to teach German, at least get it right.

@Michael: It's "Ich gehe in das Museum f?r alkoholfreies Bier !". I won't try for an explanation since I always despised languages at school :-)
                Btw, even more natural would be the short form: Ich gehe ins Museum f?r alkoholfreies Bier.
                Last edited by mazumoto; 03 April 2012, 04:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
                  @Qaridarium: if you try to teach German, at least get it right.

@Michael: It's "Ich gehe in das Museum f?r alkoholfreies Bier !". I won't try for an explanation since I always despised languages at school :-)
                  Btw, even more natural would be the short form: Ich gehe ins Museum f?r alkoholfreies Bier.
                  I have even shorter-er version for you: "Ab ins Museum f?r Alkoholfreies"

ger Ab = ger Los == us "Lets go"
                  ger ins = ger in das == us in the
                  Museum = Museum
                  f?r == for(sometimes "of")
                  Alkoholfreies = Alkohol + frei(es) = Alcohol - free (catterpillar word, compare us Earthquake)
                  (-es) part - addition to adjectives when they stick to nouns of neutral gender. In nominative case and accusative case.

Alkoholfreies = alkoholfreies Beier == alcohol-free(as noun) = alcohol-free beer
                  Here, I made a noun out of adjective and noun. Its like "good stuf" = "goodie".

German = English(abc, part of grammar, small part of word construction) + Russian(huge part of grammar, lots of word constructions).

But if you take Russian = French + English + German + Arab + old Russian(10-5%), you will get general idea of modern state of languages.
                  But russian has "Mat" that no one language has.

Comment

• Hi!

I know Russian very well and there is such thing as "mat language" (I speak fluent Russian and Mat ). It's very commonly used, even here (ex Russia).
                    On the other hand Russian has very very rich language, every single thing has it's own name. Me, knowing Russian very well, I'm still confused reading some Russian classic books as there are many phrases which only Russians can understand fully.

About the Mat ("мать") language, well I think a lot of nations have heard about it and a lot of people from different parts of the world know many of words of that language (well not really a language, but subsection of Russian )

regards
                    Kirurgs

Comment

• Originally posted by Kirurgs View Post
                      Mat ("мать") language
                      Probably you mean "мат" (short form of "матерный язык"). "Мать" mean "mother".

Comment

Working...
                      X