Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixed: The Linux Desktop Responsiveness Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, "these horrible responsiveness problems where it may take many seconds for a menu to appear when clicking on it or a half-minute to do a VT switch!" aren't normal? I've been using linux for too long it seems, because my last windows system (Athlon XP2400+, winxp) wasn't much better than this, and when I upgraded the hardware I thought these issues were normal.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
      I've been using linux for too long it seems, because my last windows system (Athlon XP2400+, winxp) wasn't much better than this, and when I upgraded the hardware I thought these issues were normal.
      Yeah, I used to love the way that XP would swap out the web browser I was actively using when I was copying a 2GB file from one drive to another in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by piotr View Post
        Hi.

Can anyone point me to another patch? I see there only one. I want put it in my 2.6.35 kernel.
        It doesn't work with 2.6.35. I've no idea what this patch is to be applied against, since the 2.6.36 merge window isn't even open yet. The article not lkml post doesn't mention what this patch is based on.

Comment

Here is more info. https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12309

Comment

Add me to the list of people who didn't even realise this was a 'bug' but is f***ing glad that someone is fixing it.

Comment

Did anyone else think the article was gonna talk about BFS or ck patches when they read the title?

Comment

I still can't figure out which is more annoying linux going unresponsive under intense disk pressure or windows staying "low responsive" and never finishing it's I/O tasks as they go from 6 minutes to complete to 30. Both ways seem equally annoying to me.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous View Post
                  Did anyone else think the article was gonna talk about BFS or ck patches when they read the title?
                  Nope :P

Comment

In my experience, Windows 7 also has responsiveness problems when doing heavy I/O. I had thought that it was just unavoidable with current computer architecture. I would love to be wrong about that.

Comment

Michael, please fix this sentence:

On his system when writing 300M to the /dev/zero file the problem was even worse.
                      To /dev/zero? The mail clearly states from it to the ssd...

Comment

Working...
                      X