Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Dislike or Hate About Ubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and working microphone input would be nice too. Not a single person I know who installed Ubuntu was able to use his microphone without calling me first and doing arcane stuff from the terminal. How much suckage is that?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Oh, and working microphone input would be nice too. Not a single person I know who installed Ubuntu was able to use his microphone without calling me first and doing arcane stuff from the terminal. How much suckage is that?
      I've actually never had this particular issue. I have a Microsoft usb mic and it just works when I plug it in.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
        I've actually never had this particular issue. I have a Microsoft usb mic and it just works when I plug it in.
        Also, no one I know has a USB mic. Only the type you plug into your sound card's "Mic-in" jack.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Also, no one I know has a USB mic. Only the type you plug into your sound card's "Mic-in" jack.
          I can't stand those types of mics/headsets. TBH I have seen many people, including myself having issues with them even in windows. Ever since I moved to USB mics its been smooth sailing.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            Just for shits and giggles you should Install "Doom 3" in CentOS 5.6 and then try to run either the "Hexen: Edge Of Chaos" or "Dark Mod" mods.

Just do it. Then tell us how great linux binaries are.
            Linux has packages, not binaries. Linux packages are great. There are not 9000 sorts of windows all compiled with various versions of various compilers. Besides, Linux does not try have stable ABI per se, the other side of coin - it has no dll hell and no compatibility issues if packages are built right.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              The build service is so awesome, it even builds RPMs for windows.
              Heh, Gentoo portage actually runs on windows too...

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                While at some point this annoyed me and forced me to install the development versions of some libraries (not that hard in any case), I don't see how this is a violation of the GPL in any way.

Yes, and like many other open source projects yours seems to fall in the same kind of disconnection with final users, if not reality. What on earth do you want me to do with your svn repository? I don't want to have anything to do with it, at all. I just want to play your game, not looking up how to fetch source code, how to build it, witness errors running down a terminal and chase libraries, only to find out that sound doesn't work or that it crashes at the menu screen.

You are making a game, you are the main stakeholder, it's your responsibility to distribute it in a working state so that users can try it in the easiest way possible. Whatever your software is about, and except for the simplest projects out there, I find it hard to believe that building a couple of binaries represents a significant amount of work compared to what it takes to actually coding it.

No, the GPL is not about me, a user, building your code in order to use it. It's about you distributing it in certain way, and about certain rights and obligations connected to it. I am grateful that you decided to use a free license to distribute your software, and I, or somebody else might at some point benefit from your choice. But if you want your game to be played by as many people as possible, you should put a bit of effort towards making it as easy as you can.
                You are doing it right.

Comment

In response to several posts about my post about -dev versions: It was just a rant, I am aware that my opinion about the GPL is not mainstream. And, yes, the command for installing the required packages is not a big deal.

On another point, the way I see it, it is upstream's job to supply a good package to the distro packager. Then, releases get packaged and users install with their package manager (or PlayDeb), and all is well. I did not intend to imply that everyone should be installing from svn. But, for us, and I expect for many small projects, having a group of users who test the latest development is essential.

Did not really expect to get responses. Some good points to ponder. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Linux has packages, not binaries. Linux packages are great. There are not 9000 sorts of windows all compiled with various versions of various compilers. Besides, Linux does not try have stable ABI per se, the other side of coin - it has no dll hell and no compatibility issues if packages are built right.
                    I laughed, see Linux has over 9000 'sorts of linuxes' all compiled with 'various versions of various compilers' using 'various ABI's' and all are incompatible with one another.

Windows has 3 versions, three compilers, and well documented stable ABIs.

Do the math as to which one is easier to support, cheesey.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Exact opposite here and for many many many many others. KDE works flawlessly here when pulse is disabled. As far as the sound quality goes gotta call pure placebo on that one as pulse still throws it's stream through alsa in the end and I find it extremely hard to believe that adding yet another layer lowers CPU usage ( as you claim it does ).

My experience too. The first thing I do after a fresh install is remove pulse. It gives me fits. I have never had any problem with alsa

Comment

Working...
                      X