Radeon OpenGL 2.0 support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nhaehnle View Post
    To test the Gallium drivers, you first need to enable building them (--enable-gallium-radeon --with-state-trackers=dri,glx). Then the build system provides a radeon_dri.so, which should be renamed or linked to as r300_dri.so from some other directory. Then you can set the LIBGL_DRIVERS_DIR environment variable to test the driver for specific applications only.
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.3 on RV350
    OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.7-devel

Thamk you! Seems to load.

But I have some problems. For example after running glxgears more than 7 seconds X hangs. glxgears itself shows some mystic things. Is it normal at this time or I should check something on my system?
    Mesa built with state-trackers=dri,glx,egl
    Last edited by mcdebugger; 30 September 2009, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Just for clarification, the current driver *does* support shaders and most of the games running on them are using shaders. What they don't support is GLSL - only the ARB_vp/fp shader language. The changes to support GLSL and OpenGL 2.0 will mostly be made in the mesa drivers, not radeon/radeonhd.

Availability of kernel modesetting (actually the GEM/TTM memory manager that comes with kernel modesetting) was a pre-requisite for some of the GL 2.0 functions, and also a pre-requisite for the Gallium3D drivers which will be the most likely path to GL 2.0. Now that KMS/GEM/TTM are available in the kernel tree, work on Gallium3D is starting to ramp up.

It's probably a bit early to make schedule estimates... maybe check back in a month.
      I am currently trying to write a shader based engine to get the concepts of OpenGL3 and since you decided to cripple my R500 card with open-source drivers, I try to use ARB_vp/fp where GLSL is mentioned in the tutorials.
      But it seems like ARB_vp/ fp is not well documented - probably because its obsolete and old. Do you perhaps still know some documentation sources? (besides the extension text)

Comment

Originally posted by mcdebugger View Post
        But I have some problems. For example after running glxgears more than 7 seconds X hangs. glxgears itself shows some mystic things. Is it normal at this time or I should check something on my system?
        Mesa built with state-trackers=dri,glx,egl
        Definitely not normal but whether it's a known issue or not, you can find out in fd.o bugzilla.

Comment

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
          ... since you decided to cripple my R500 card with open-source drivers ...
          Ooookay?

About the Gallium issue: Yeah, known bug on R300 cards. I haven't found the time to understand it, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by nhaehnle View Post
            Ooookay?
            nothing personal. I would have just preferred to have a feature complete Open Source driver, before AMD cut off the closed source support.
            Right now I ended up without power management and without OpenGL3, which I would have with the closed source drivers.

But I am happy if you give me some vertex_program documentation.

Comment

nothing personal. I would have just preferred to have a feature complete Open Source driver, before AMD cut off the closed source support.
              Right now I ended up without power management and without OpenGL3, which I would have with the closed source drivers.
              Right. Sue the mob that forced you to upgrade to X server 1.6 and a too new kernels at a gunpoint?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                Right. Sue the mob that forced you to upgrade to X server 1.6 and a too new kernels at a gunpoint?
                well compare ubuntu 8.04 with ubuntu 9.10, write down the differences and you have the mob

but once again; basically I am searching vertex program documentations.

Comment

but once again; basically I am searching vertex program documentations.
                  Search for "OpenGL extension registry" which will lead you to this page where you can obtain the official specification for any extension. That's all I've ever worked it (the spec even contains example programs!).

I'm sure there are other resources elsewhere, it's just that I personally have never used those.

Comment

I didn't think the R500 series could do OpenGL3, I thought they were limited to 2.1 anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynut View Post
                      I didn't think the R500 series could do OpenGL3, I thought they were limited to 2.1 anyway?
                      They can't probably do full 3.0 but can also likely go over 2.1. (as in, they can likely accomplish *part* of the extensions required)
                      Edit: When people say "support for version X", it means support for full version X. You can still have almost all of the extensions available and this will Just Work as long as the application doesn't hit the extensions that aren't supported.
                      Last edited by nanonyme; 01 October 2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X