A Linux User's Perspective Of Microsoft Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
    Most notably, MS and their devs still miserably fail to run many programs under user (non-administrative) accounts. They even gone as far as to reinvent sudo in most awkward way I ever seen - UAC. In this weird implementation not just administrator account is borked and can get "access denied" but also programs should be explicitly aware of this misfeature. Or else they will be unable to enter some directories at all. Really amazing crapwreck. They "fixed" what was not broken in incredibly twisted ways just to avoid dealing with root cause.

3) To make matters more interesting, recent windows redirects some directories for some apps.
    Yea, that. It gets even rather ludicrous: if you are trying to use the MS Office 2010 To Go feature, you must be logged in as an administrator. It never asks you to enter Administrator credentials, either, just fails with a completely unrelated "the server return an unknown response" error. Makes you wonder how many MS devs themselves use their own security features...

And yes, redirection of files and directories. Their "Virtualisation" of the Program Files folder is one of the worst things possible, as it simply eats files. The files programs put there are moved to another folder and made invisible to the user. In what way that helps security I have no clue. It's pretty much worse than silent IO failure. Thankfully, with a bit of fiddling around in the registry or the Management Console, that can be disabled.

And then there's the "library" feature, which is an attempt at implementing something like bookmarks. It works fine most of the time, but you can't go up a level from there. At all. And you can't even copy the real path of it easily. It's quite frustrating.

That's on Windows 7, though. Not sure how they changed it in Win8, but I'm definitely not going to find out any time soon.

At least they now have ReFS... ...except it's only on servers. What else is on servers? Metro UI. Yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I think you mean upgrade installs are always very messy.
      I indeed meant that upgrades of Operating Systems are always very messy: fragile.

Comment

@GreatEmerald
        The virtualisation of program folders is meant to avoid programs screwing up the system.
        It's a safety and security feature to make things run.

Isolate programs from one another is one of the features of an Operating System.
        This allows running, installing, having multiple programs that don't interfere with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
          @GreatEmerald
          The virtualisation of program folders is meant to avoid programs screwing up the system.
          It's a safety and security feature to make things run.

Isolate programs from one another is one of the features of an Operating System.
          This allows running, installing, having multiple programs that don't interfere with each other.
          You don't do it silently. You give the program an "access denied" message. That's exactly what happens when you disable virtualisation.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            When was the last time you have seen a AAA title released in linux? Prey, which was a couple years late to the party? The last AAA title that was released on linux in a timely manner IIRC was ET:QW back in 2007. I wouldn't say it was a myth.
            They said there were no games, which is a myth. I really do not give a rats ass about whether some magazine considers a title important or not, the fact of the matter is there are plenty of game titles released for Linux, many of them quite good. You can not escape this fact by simply changing your definitions.

Comment

Originally posted by hefa View Post
              This person should be banned for rasist comments. I have no problem with different opinions on operating systems but that overly rasist monkey comment should not be tolerated at all.
              lol wut?!?!

you're the only one who associate AFRICA with BLACK-SKINNED PEOPLE... so who's the racist here?
              images.google.com -> african monkeys

google for White South AFRICAN you won't believe your eyes... there live more "whites" thAn "blacks"

now twitch my dick

edit: fixed typo for grammarnazis
              Last edited by _artem_; 29 October 2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I do not think you really help your point there _artem_.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  I do not think you really help your point there _artem_.
                  that's really funny to hear people, from countries which had "black" slaves in the past, calling me racist... I was born in russia. russia neved had "BLACK" SLAVES. to be true I first saw a "black" man as I went to germany in the age of 13 until that moment I saw "black" skinned people only in US films on the TV

Comment

4 posts, looks like a troll account to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      4 posts, looks like a troll account to me.
                      ~500 posts... looks like a flooder account to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X