Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Briefly Talks Up EGL

Phoronix: NVIDIA Briefly Talks Up EGL

While NVIDIA hasn't yet released any EGL support for their binary desktop Linux graphics driver to complement GLX, we know they are working on it going back to last year's XDC. At this year's XDC event, there was a brief NVIDIA EGL presentation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL, he keeps saying ahhhh, ummmm, it hurts my nerves.

Comment

He looks very much like he doesn't want to be there

Unfortunately I don't know anything about EGL so most of the things he was talking about went over my head, but I think he was talking about providing a driver-level EGL API for the compositor to talk to the driver (GFX card) and then act as the mediator between the hardware and the display server, choosing the EGL device it wants to use for each display... unless I'm talking out my ass.

Comment

Nice to finally hear something from NVida about potentially Wayland compatible drivers. What about you, AMD?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          He looks very much like he doesn't want to be there
          He is mostly likely just a bad/nervous presenter. Not everyone is good at giving presentations in front of crowds, in fact most people are not.

Comment

Another fresh news from Phoronix, Thanks!

Well done, Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              Nice to finally hear something from NVida about potentially Wayland compatible drivers. What about you, AMD?
              OSS driver from AMD works. I'm tired of compiling drivers after every kernel upgrade.

Comment

EGL_MESA_drm_image extension?

AFAIK not only is EGL support the stumbling block for Wayland, but also support of the EGL_MESA_drm_image is required. http://www.khronos.org/registry/egl/..._drm_image.txt I've not heard of any of the vendors talking about support for it and if not, why they don't "like" it. I'm only 1/3 of the way through the video (it is a little rough watching) but so far it seems to be talking of different EGL extensions. For instance, are EGL Streams (assuming all vendors start supporting them) something that would work in place of the drm_image extension? Could Wayland/Weston be made to support them?

I do like that first slide's last bullet point of GPUs should not be in the way of windowing systems.

I'm also cautiously optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
                  AFAIK not only is EGL support the stumbling block for Wayland, but also support of the EGL_MESA_drm_image is required. http://www.khronos.org/registry/egl/..._drm_image.txt I've not heard of any of the vendors talking about support for it and if not, why they don't "like" it. I'm only 1/3 of the way through the video (it is a little rough watching) but so far it seems to be talking of different EGL extensions. For instance, are EGL Streams (assuming all vendors start supporting them) something that would work in place of the drm_image extension? Could Wayland/Weston be made to support them?

I do like that first slide's last bullet point of GPUs should not be in the way of windowing systems.

I'm also cautiously optimistic.
                  I think that's not an actual issue, since the Raspberry PI doesn't provide that extension and they've got wayland working there. I suspect that there probably should be something added to EGL1.5 that standardizes that kind of need/interface though.

Comment

Working...
                  X