Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who are these douches that took down the nvnews site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So who are these douches that took down the nvnews site?

Seriously, what is with these dumb-f's who love to trample all over everyone else's work?

The site isn't even affiliated with the company; it's just for enthusiasts to discuss NVIDIA stuff. I liked going there to learn about new driver releases or maybe even help people where I could.

Along comes some asshole with a stick up his ass and decides to DoS attack the site, ruining it for everybody.

These hacker people should be shot to death then put through a meat grinder.

MikeC has been hacking and slashing through the forums like crazy, deleting tons of stuff and banning a lot of people, and then deleting every thread that voiced criticism or even threads where people simply sought clarification on what's going on. So I'm honestly not surprised there's some backlash. I agree with you that these people are dumb-fs, I in no way endorse what they're doing, I'm just providing a possible explanation on what's going on. I'm also saying that the way MikeC has been handling things hasn't been ok either and that it possibly contributed to the situation.

Also, the way he's been saying how much he doesn't want the Linux forums there, I'm thinking it'd probably be better for Nvidia to find another place to provide Linux support. Like, say, Phoronix

Comment

Weird. I thought more traffic means more income. This has to be the first owner of an ad-financed site who doesn't welcome traffic? Basically every Google search about NVidia-specific issues pointed to nvnews.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        MikeC has been hacking and slashing through the forums like crazy, deleting tons of stuff and banning a lot of people, and then deleting every thread that voiced criticism or even threads where people simply sought clarification on what's going on. So I'm honestly not surprised there's some backlash.
        Ack, last time was Linus comment on NVIDIA, at first he deleted all discussion about the issue, then allowed discussion, then removed all discussions and posted the official statement from NVIDIA. Everybody asking what happened were accused of "bitching around". Nice Community.

Comment

Originally posted by crobe View Post
          Ack, last time was Linus comment on NVIDIA, at first he deleted all discussion about the issue, then allowed discussion, then removed all discussions and posted the official statement from NVIDIA. Everybody asking what happened were accused of "bitching around". Nice Community.
          It's pretty disturbing that that kind of prudential matter was met with a DoS attack. A man has a right to run his business and pursuits any way he pleases, provided it's within the law.

I sure hope the whole fiasco wasn't stirred on by something in the Linux world (like the Linus comment), as that reflects poorly on us.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            It's pretty disturbing that that kind of prudential matter was met with a DoS attack.
            What crobe mentions was just one small part of it though. The hacking and slashing I mentioned went way beyond the Linux forum. MikeC deleting threads in the "Open Forums" section, deleting the "Politics and Religion" section in it's entirety, replacing it with a "Politics" section and then removing also that one. Further, banning a whole bunch of people than never posted in the Linux section, but mostly in the previously mentioned ones.

I sure hope the whole fiasco wasn't stirred on by something in the Linux world (like the Linus comment)
            As I said above, this is bigger than the Linux forum, and I'd say the backlash comes from that.
            Though, MikeC is using the Linus comment as a scapegoat for everything that's going wrong in his life. He has this notion that Linus is in a "war" with Nvidia, and that nvnews is caught in the middle of it. He posted a conspiracy theory wherein Nvidia faked the break-in at their forums in an attempt to gain control of his Linux forum, or something. The exact text: http://pastebin.com/UvgwNaKG. That it might have to do with his slashing and banning, that thought hasn't occurred to him.
            Last edited by Gusar; 19 July 2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

These hacker people should be shot to death then put through a meat grinder.
              I'm not.sure, but that sounds more illegal than DoS'ing internet forums, at least back in the civilized world.

Either way, I'd have to agree, that MikeC dude is either totally clueless or a complete douche himself for going totally ballistic on Linus' comments.

Comment

I think what's happened on nvnews forum is a good thing for Linux community, I hope the forum will not come back. I explain: Nvidia used nvnews linux forum like an unofficial bug tracker where official nvidia dev could involve...or not. On Nvidia official web site, the url for linux support pointed to nvnews, wich was not an official nvidia forum. Nvidia should open his own official linux forum support for a long time and all this shit had never happened. If Nvidia would keep the control of his communication with linux users, they should open his own linux support forum and in a more professionnal way, a bug tracker. I hope this affair will force Nvidia to be more engage in an official linux support way.

Comment

Nvidia.com support page still links to nvnews.net sub forum for "official" Linux support. Nvidia should host its own official Linux support channel instead ("send email to [email protected] and never get a reply" doesn't count). That being said, I never visited forums.nvidia.com before they took it down, did it have Linux driver announcements and support like nvnews.net ?

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
                    Nvidia should host its own official Linux support channel
                    What about http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ask?

Comment

Working...
                    X