Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 8.0 "Jessie" Enters Development Sights

Phoronix: Debian 8.0 "Jessie" Enters Development Sights

With last weekend's release of Debian 7.0 Wheezy, Debian 8.0 Jessie is now in early stages of development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While debian releases are LONG and there are a good number of toy story characters, it does make me wonder what they'll do when they run out of names.

Comment

Averaging 3 years for each release, probably until next century

Comment

That's also assuming Disney won't be releasing any more Toy Story films or introducing any other new characters through some other media. On the contrary, I think Debian has an endless well of names to pick from if they stick with Toy Story characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
          That's also assuming Disney won't be releasing any more Toy Story films or introducing any other new characters through some other media. On the contrary, I think Debian has an endless well of names to pick from if they stick with Toy Story characters.
          True, the 3rd movie alone extended the debian naming scheme by at at least another 25 years hahaha. I doubt Disney would intend to make another Toy Story movie. While the 3rd one did leave the potential for another whole series, they also left it in a place where nobody would be disappointed if that was the last one. I'd say the same goes for the Dark Knight series haha.

Comment

How long does it normally take before users can add Jesse to sources.list?

Comment

Originally posted by Loafers View Post
              How long does it normally take before users can add Jesse to sources.list?
              instead of doing the name, just drop in 'testing' 'unstable' (or 'sid' since thats static) or 'experimental' and you'll auto-update.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                instead of doing the name, just drop in 'testing' 'unstable' (or 'sid' since thats static) or 'experimental' and you'll auto-update.
                ooo ty !

Comment

Originally posted by Loafers View Post
                  ooo ty !
                  Mhmm, if you want to stick to one SPECIFIC release, then doing it by the code-name is correct. But if you're the person who says "I want to always be on Debian Testing" then adding the name doesn't really make sense. Just tell it use "testing" and you'll be taken care of. The only codename that never changes is unstable, which is codenamed "Sid" after the kid in the first movie who broke toys -- a subtle warning to users "Unstable breaks your sh*t." Which it does sometimes, but for the most part is pretty good.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

/usr merge?

Will there ever be a /usr merge for Debian?
                    Will it be in Jessie?

Comment

Working...
                    X