Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype Goes After Reverse-Engineering

Phoronix: Skype Goes After Reverse-Engineering

While Skype has now expanded their Linux API support to allow other applications to take advantage of Skype video calls and other features, a few months ago the Skype protocol began to be reverse-engineered by an independent researcher. Skype took action several times against this work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't see a point in that 'high priority project', I can do audio and video calls over XMPP using empathy (it has no-configuration NAT traversal, ICE I think) in less time than it takes to think of skype.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimzo View Post
      I don't see a point in that 'high priority project', I can do audio and video calls over XMPP using empathy (it has no-configuration NAT traversal, ICE I think) in less time than it takes to think of skype.
      the main problem is that xmpp -even with the backing of big G- isn't as popular as Skype -everyone knows Skype

and there are some interoperability problems ie it is not seamless to get google chat video to jabber (at least it was the last time i checked)

Comment

This person hasn't just reverse-engineerd, this person has deobfuscated code from Skype itself. IMO it is justified that Skype takes action against this.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
          This person hasn't just reverse-engineerd, this person has deobfuscated code from Skype itself. IMO it is justified that Skype takes action against this.
          no, it didn't.
          last time i checked federal laws were superseding licenses and EULAs, at least in my country. and, in my country, these laws say that you can reverse-engineer the shit out of it any way you want if you doing it for personal benefit or for bettering interoperability with your own shit which you don't profit directly from.

i guess even with USA it is the same since those assholes gone for "fighting malicious application" excuse.

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          and there are some interoperability problems ie it is not seamless to get google chat video to jabber (at least it was the last time i checked)
          these "interoperability problems" called 'breaking the protocol". thank Google for taking it and going all Embrace, Extend and Extinguish on its ass.

Comment

Indeed, it is allowed to reverse-engineer. But it is not allowed to disassemble or deobfuscate code that is copyrighted by Skype.

Comment

In EU it's legal:

Originally posted by Wikipedia
              In Europe, the 1991 Software Directive explicitly provides for a right to decompile in order to achieve interoperability

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                these "interoperability problems" called 'breaking the protocol". thank Google for taking it and going all Embrace, Extend and Extinguish on its ass.
                i have no idea where it started or why -or other technicalities behind it- but the problem must be fixed ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  In EU it's legal:
                  As it is in Canada as well.

Comment

As it is in the free world in general.

Comment

Working...
                    X