Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sambamba: Another Way To Automatically Parallelize Code

Phoronix: Sambamba: Another Way To Automatically Parallelize Code

Sambamba is an interesting research project out of academia that's yet another attempt at coming up with a better means of automatically parallelizing code. The Sambamba project describes itself as "A Runtime System for Online Adaptive Parallelization."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sambamba
    Just when you think software names couldn't get dumber...

Comment

Agreed, whichever 14 year-old in a man's body named GIMP needs a good kicking.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        Agreed, whichever 14 year-old in a man's body named GIMP needs a good kicking.
        Non-English speaker who likes acronyms? It stands for Gtk Image Manipulation Program-- the very fact they made it be THAT makes me believer the original name was from a non-english speaker, and therefore wouldnt know 'gimp' is a negative term. Could they have changed it? Sure. Should they have? Probably. Will they? doubtful, simply for nostalgic reasons.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Actually GIMP is the acronym for "GNU Image Manipulation Program", as it predates GTK and GTK is in fact an acronym for "GIMP Tool Kit".

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Non-English speaker who likes acronyms? It stands for Gtk Image Manipulation Program-- the very fact they made it be THAT makes me believer the original name was from a non-english speaker, and therefore wouldnt know 'gimp' is a negative term. Could they have changed it? Sure. Should they have? Probably. Will they? doubtful, simply for nostalgic reasons.
            from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP (enphasis added):

History
            GIMP was originally released as the General Image Manipulation Program,[7] by creators Spencer Kimball and Peter Mattis. (Development of GIMP began in 1995 as a semester-long project at the University of California, Berkeley; the first public release of GIMP (0.54) was made in January 1996 [8][9] and in the following year (1997) GIMP became a part of the GNU Project. The definition of the acronym GIMP was changed to mean the GNU Image Manipulation Program in reflection of its existence under the GNU Project.[10] <..>
            whatever meaning you attribute to the G in GIMP, i'd be quite positive that someone named Spemcer Kimball is a native english speaker...

Comment

Working...
            X