Why Wayland & Weston Were Forked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by airlied View Post
    The question is why we should have to work with someone who is easy to anger, we don't know what'll set him off, and really nobody does except him. Like I get angry at the Internet a lot, I've had Linus Torvalds flame me to a crisp on public mailing lists, did I just go nuts and attack back, no I tried to calm my shit down and react with some forethought (okay maybe didn't succeed once or twice).

Dave.
    Interestingly enough, I've sent my first and only email to Linus a few days ago before sitting down to write this paper asking for his help as well. I know that people often place him in a position where he has no other choice but to say some harsh things, too. The fact of the matter is, the Truth hurts.
    Last edited by soreau; 30 March 2013, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      And once again, soreau, I am yet to hear your reasons for not using extensions. They sound like a win-win situation to me. Do you have any technical reasons to dispute that?
      Because what I need hasn't been written yet?

Comment

Originally posted by soreau View Post
        Interestingly enough, I've sent my first and only email to Linus a few days ago before sitting down to write this paper asking for his help as well. I know that people often place him in a position where he has no other choice but to say some harsh things, too. The fact of the matter is, the Truth hurts.

Why would you send Linus email? and why would you'd think he'd give a shit? really delusional now.

did you actually compare yourself to Linus there? wow add delusions of grandeur to the list.
        Dave.

Comment

At this point, soreau is trying his best to persuade the world he was being reasonable, if we don't reply, some people out there will go on thinking that he was, and in months/years we'll hear the story retold wrong. The thing is he's making shit up to justify thing, he's writing a version of history that nobody else agrees with.

Dave.
          I am writing history.. interesting concept indeed.

Comment

Yes I was wrong and shouldn't have lashed out so harshly. I did a apologize before I was banned from IRC but apparently it had gone too far in Kristian's eyes.
            Yes, well... is that a surprise? You've not so much burned your bridges with the Wayland folks, as called down an airstrike and cluster-bombed the whole area. When you've insulted people so aggressively as that, it's kind of hard to get back together and work as if nothing had happened.

Comment

Why would you send Linus email? and why would you'd think he'd give a shit? really delusional now.

did you actually compare yourself to Linus there? wow add delusions of grandeur to the list.
              Dave.
              Aalto Talk with Linus Torvalds, hosted by Aalto Center for Entrepreneurship in Otaniemi on June 14, 2012. Linus was interviewed by Will Cardwell and followed...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                Yes, well... is that a surprise? You've not so much burned your bridges with the Wayland folks, as called down an airstrike and cluster-bombed the whole area. When you've insulted people so aggressively as that, it's kind of hard to get back together and work as if nothing had happened.
                I'd like to think of it more like building new bridges in addition to the others.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                  Well, the difference is if you work for a company, you do what you are told to do.
                  Nah, companies have their share of destructive politics too - it's just hidden from the world. When developers disagree over technical matters, it's rare for management to be able to make an informed decision of which side to go with. It's all about relationships - who's judgement they trust the most, who's better at explaining their side (and dismissing the others), etc. And if you're lucky, everyone will get in line once the decision is made, and not sulk and do a half-assed job of implementing the rival approach, just to prove they were right all along.

Of course, from the outside, what you mostly see is just projects delivered late, and with a high defect rate... maybe a little acrimony over Facebook from disgruntled staff who decide to leave...

Comment

so I should let him? because that definitely won't do any long term damage.
                    To be honest, I think it'd do less damage than this relentless public feuding. Regardless of who might originally be at fault, you're doing as much as he is to keep tempers flaring and make sure the whole world sees how disfunctional things are getting. If you and the others stopped responding, the issue would drop off the radar quickly enough...

Comment

I'd like to think of it more like building new bridges in addition to the others.
                      Call it what you like, but it doesn't make it reality. I'm not one of the Wayland devs, but I certainly couldn't blame them if they never wanted anything to do with you again. People have disagreements all the time, but once you've descended to the point of throwing personal insults around, it's real hard to come back to any kind of working relationship...

Comment

Working...
                      X