Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.12 To Plug Into Facebook In New Ways

Phoronix: GNOME 3.12 To Plug Into Facebook In New Ways

GNOME applications are seeing greater integration support with Facebook in the GNOME 3.12 development cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One more reason not to use Gnome. Now they integrate the CIA-NSA backed social network.

Comment

I already quit Gnome3 for a while now. Gnome project is being driven deeper and deeper into the ocean of insanity by its obstinate devs.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        One more reason not to use Gnome. Now they integrate the CIA-NSA backed social network.
        Well, as long as they dont force you to log in it should be fine... (At least it's fine for me...)

Comment

It's only indexing for local use. If you've put it online, and it can be accessed with these crawlers then it gets added to the Tracker (the semantic data store and indexer) on your box. There's nothing in the least nefarious about this. This is not like Ubuntu, essentially, keylogging you. This info only stays local.
          Gnome is one group you don't have to worry about privacy concerns in the way you're thinking. I'd imagine it's the same for all the major linux desktops (excluding Unity...who knows that will go in there...but you can always look at the code at least).

Comment

I don't think GNOME can force anyone logging into or even using FB.

Comment

You misunderstood the news... This is the other way around. This changes simply download the data you gave FB to your computer for local use. Essentially, your getting (a copy) of your data back -- Not, as if I thought this was useful for me in any way... but well, at least it's not evil.

Comment

Yes it is great to get a local copy of what others might put online about you. Its not like this will share anything with Gnome. The only thing I am somewhat worried about is if this data is encrypted? I never log into Facebook or Google without encryption and i would hate it if someone could snap this data out of the air when its sent back to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn3ipen View Post
                  Yes it is great to get a local copy of what others might put online about you. Its not like this will share anything with Gnome. The only thing I am somewhat worried about is if this data is encrypted? I never log into Facebook or Google without encryption and i would hate it if someone could snap this data out of the air when its sent back to me.
                  I'm guess those internet big players in the US have been forced to surrender copies of their TLS/SSL secret keys over to the NSA . Even if they don't have the keys, with the collaboration of browser and OS vendors the NSA can setup large scale man-in-the-middle attacks using SSL interception proxies. In anycase, if you're not careful about the cert authorities you trust, you'd be fooled by a false sense of security.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                    Well, as long as they dont force you to log in it should be fine... (At least it's fine for me...)
                    It's not about logging in to facebook with gnome. It's about gnome sending requests to facebook.com once you start a session. This might happen in the backround without anybody noticing and should be enough for facebook to know your ip address and when you're using your computer.

But how do they know that that specific ip address belongs you? Very easy, once you've logged in to facebook.com (or probably even twitter.com) through other means than gnome3 (like your wifi connected iphone or the web), your ip will be automatically linked with your real name and email address. And everytime facebook recieves requests from your ip address your privacy is at stake.

Comment

Working...
                    X