Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant use external display with Laptop

Hi,

I just got a new Thinkpad X121 with AMD E450 and Radeon 6320 in it. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and their previous stable release. With both distributions and fglrx I have the same problems:
    1) external displays can not be used correctly: I tried to use different monitors with extended mode or single mode. None of that works correctly, neither in KDE, Unity or XFCE. I NEVER get the correct resolution (native resolution like 1920x1200 or 1280x1024). I tried with VGA and HDMI outputs, the output just changes the errors a little bit. And one more: When I add an external display and do NOT change the resolution of the internal one, it gets changed nevertheless...
    2) I have to reboot to change the display's resolution. WTF? And then it still does not work...
    3) At one point I rebooted several times as AMD CCC forced me to and I was able to use my monitor. YAY! But only with 1600x900 instead of 1920x1200 :-(
    4) xrandr commands are ignored by the driver.

Are these "normal" behaviours of the driver? Are all my four external displays broken (they work fine with Intel and Nvidia GPUs)? Maybe the driver installation went wrong? I can play OpenGL games just fine, but would like to use external displays as usual for work. What can I do to use monitors with the AMD GPU?

I dont want to use the OSS radeon driver, as it burns way more power :-(

*bump* No ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Asariati View Post
      I dont want to use the OSS radeon driver, as it burns way more power :-(

Comment

Hi, did you try xrandr ? Something like:
        xrandr --fb 2646x1024 --output LVDS --primary --auto --output CRT1 --auto --right-of LVDS

this is with laptop 1366x768 and 1280x1024 external.
        you might try using just a minimal xorg.conf or driver section that just loads the driver and use xrandr to set things up

for laptop only:
        xrandr --fb 1366x768 --output LVDS --auto --output CRT1 --off

it should work ok.

As for power consumption with the open driver, I set it to low and cpu to minimal but still come an hour+ short compared to fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by acer View Post
          Hi, did you try xrandr ? Something like:
          xrandr --fb 2646x1024 --output LVDS --primary --auto --output CRT1 --auto --right-of LVDS

this is with laptop 1366x768 and 1280x1024 external.
          you might try using just a minimal xorg.conf or driver section that just loads the driver and use xrandr to set things up

for laptop only:
          xrandr --fb 1366x768 --output LVDS --auto --output CRT1 --off

it should work ok.
          Yeah, I tried. And it should work, but it does not.

Comment

Maybe you will try FOSS driver then?

Comment

Working...
            X